This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] aomenc greyed-out options
Question 
Starting to look at other encoders than x264. (This is probably not good.. oh no.)

For aomenc (av1), how do you get the following ungreyed:

Color space on "Base" tab
[Image: WWzNyPk.png]

"Noise reduction" settings on "Frame" tab
[Image: rlueX3i.png]

(I'm reading this tuning thread on Reddit and I feel like the noise reduction settings may be something that might be good to be able to control... for VP9, the options are not greyed out and I use 5 and 3.)

--------------------------------------------------

Also, this setting is greyed out:

[Image: GDA2iXs.png]

This is not greyed out on VPX (VP9). It's supposed to be active for 2-pass encodes in aomenc, but selecting a 2-pass encode in Hybrid for aomenc doesn't ungrey it.

From this Reddit thread on tuning VP9:

Quote:"Activates alternate reference frames. Alternate reference frames are 'invisible' frames, never shown to the user, but which are used as a reference when creating the final frames. This allows the encoder to be a lot more efficient, so always use it. It is the default in the standalone vpxenc libvpx-vp9 encoder as of libvpx 1.9.0 and 1.10.0."

--------------------------------------------------

OK, so, I think that for aomenc, selecting a 2-pass encoding mode should ungrey Alternate reference reduction frame decision, and both Noise reduction fields. That is the behavior for VPX. So I'm guessing it's a bug!  Sick
"aomenc->Base->Format->Color Space" is greyed out since aomenc is always YUV and only the color sampling matters.
It only offers:
--yv12                      Input file is YV12
            --i420                      Input file is I420 (default)
            --i422                      Input file is I422
            --i444                      Input file is I444
see: "aomenc --help"

"aomenc->Frame->Noise reduction" + "alternate reference reduction frame decision" are only enabled for 2pass bitrate encoding.
(noise reduction requires "alternate reference reduction frame decision" > 0)

Did you actually test that " --passes=2 --pass=1 --end-usage=cq " actually uses noise redcution and "alternate reference reduction frame decision" ?
-> If they do, I can enabled these two. Smile

Since constrained 2pass encoding did not exist when I implemented it and the aoemenc documentation is simply bad.
Don't really care about reddit posts unless they reference to an official documentation.

Cu Selur
"aomenc->Base->Format->Color Space" is greyed out since aomenc is always YUV and only the color sampling matters.
It only offers:
--yv12                      Input file is YV12
            --i420                      Input file is I420 (default)
            --i422                      Input file is I422
            --i444                      Input file is I444
see: "aomenc --help"

"aomenc->Frame->Noise reduction" + "alternate reference reduction frame decision" are only enabled for 2pass bitrate encoding.
(noise reduction requires "alternate reference reduction frame decision" > 0)

Did you actually test that " --passes=2 --pass=1 --end-usage=cq " actually uses noise redcution and "alternate reference reduction frame decision" ?
-> If they do, I can enabled these two. Smile (send you a dev version for testing)

Since constrained 2pass encoding did not exist when I implemented it and the aoemenc documentation is simply bad.
Don't really care about reddit posts unless they reference to an official documentation.

Cu Selur
Thanks for the beta, I'll test it later, I find with VP9 it makes a difference on high saturated parts of the image (i.e. bright reds) with lots of detail. I check it with the same content. Wink