This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Windows-based Media Players won't play High4:2:2 (x264)
Hello,

I am working on encoding some videos for some family members onto USB, and I am running into an issue where the videos will only play in VLC but not any other standard Windows-based media players. I even tested file playback on another PC. Normally, this would not be a problem for me. However, I don't expect the average PC user to use VLC, much less know what it is. I came to this conclusion by first resetting my x264 settings back to their defaults. With the exception of audio. Which is set to FDKAAC 160kbs. Under these settings, I can play any video within any standard Windows-based media player. So, one by one, I changed 1 setting at a time per job to see when the issue would arise. First, I changed the encoding mode to CRF 1 pass. Still played just fine. Next, I changed the AVC Profile/Level from High to High4:2:2 (I want to use 4:2:2 for output. But I don't change it from i420 to i422 just yet. Only switch the profile). This is when it causes the resulting output file to be unplayable in any standard Windows-based media player.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to solve this issue. Also, I am using Dev version 2023.11.05.
High 4:2:2 profile or higher are required for 4:2:2 H.264, which simple decoders (specially hardware decoders) might not support.
If you want wider playback compatibility, you should stick with base maybe high profile and 4:2:0.

Cu Selur
Gotcha. Thank you, Selur!