This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Deinterlacing Footage
Hello,

I'm posting as I have some new footage that I am trying to deinterlace. The footage itself appears to be 16mm that has then been transferred to a tape, which has then been further transferred to a digital file. This digital file is 1920x1080 so applying deinterlacing directly does nothing. After a few tests and experiments, I believe that the best thing to do is crop the black borders horizontally by 240 pixels on each side, making it a 4:3 ratio, and then resizing it to 640x480, and then deinterlacing. I'll post versions of both the original digital file, and my resized and deinterlaced version.

I was wondering if anyone thinks I can potentially improve the version I have. There is still a bit of residual ghosting and obviously the quality has taken a bit of a hit, so it would be great to know if there is a better version I can make.

Thanks!

Attached Files
.zip   Test - Deinterlaced.mov.zip (Size: 6,26 MB / Downloads: 56)
.zip   Test - Original.mov.zip (Size: 13,54 MB / Downloads: 150)
Argh,.. Yes, looks like someone unqualified for the job did the digitalization.
(in my opinion: Saving interlaced content as progressive without proper deinterlacing and then upscaling, really disqualifies.)

About the top:
I first thought something like:
x = 12
newBottom = core.std.Crop(clip, bottom=clip.height-x)
newTop = core.std.Crop(clip, top=x)
clip = core.std.StackVertical([newTop, newBottom])
would work, but I overlooked, that the above is from a field before.
=> yes, simply cropping is probably the easier approach

About fixing the deinterlacing: yes, sadly: cropping, resizing (horizontal should be enough), deinterlacing, upscaling again and then trying to get rid of the ghosting somehow is probably the best you can do. Sad

Cu Selur
------
offline 02.-07. July, https://www.rockharz-festival.com/ Big Grin
Frustrating! Thanks for the confirmation though  Big Grin