This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

compression settings
Thanks for this great software 👍
I need a bit more help most of my issues are sorted out now, but I still need help to understand the encoding settings because Hybrid is taking a long time to render 1 of my files, the file is 2 hours 40 mins long, its been 4 hours and it's still going showing another 6 hours remaining.

I have selected avisynth TFF (over written scan)
The file is a Lagrith lossless file captured in virtualdub.

I have also selected bob de-interacing for double frame rate, this will compensate for de-interlacing motion loss or mask it less visible to the watchers eye.

For bitrate I have chosen 35,000.
I have chosen to resize it to a 4K size res, thathas n9 real benefit  to the overall quality because it's captured from VHS,  that way YouTube will encode it VP9 which is better quality than what YouTube use by default which  is AVC if you keep the size normal SD which is 720x576, even if you upscale it HD 1920x1080.

My computer is core i7.
The file is on a Seagate harddrive, the file is lossless.avi YUY2 PAL format.

I even tried the fast 1st pass settings today and it's still taking a long time, will my computer get damaged if I keep it on for a long time? Could it wear out or damage the parts like the cpu fan?Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.
Okay, first about speed: try Vapoursynth instead of Avisynth since it's multithreading support is better + more filters can use the gpu which depending on what you do can speed things up.
(When using Avisynth, make sure to use 64bit Avisynth and try adjusting the number of threads, depending on your settings and content adjusting the thread count up or down might speed up things.)
The encoding part is probably not whats slowing you down.

Quote:will my computer get damaged if I keep it on for a long time?
Yes, in this respect a computer is like everything else if you use it longer or stress it more it potentially can wear down more.
Usually this isn't really something one needs to care about (assuming your system isn't overclocked and properly cooled) much.
Aside from the laptop I used back when I worked on my diploma and had to render tons of stuff I never managed to wear down a fan in the normal livespan a pc has.

Cu Selur
(28.02.2024, 21:32)Selur Wrote: Okay, first about speed: try Vapoursynth instead of Avisynth since it's multithreading support is better + more filters can use the gpu which depending on what you do can speed things up.
(When using Avisynth, make sure to use 64bit Avisynth and try adjusting the number of threads, depending on your settings and content adjusting the thread count up or down might speed up things.)
The encoding part is probably not whats slowing you down.

Cu Selur

Thank you for helping.
Ok I will try vaporsynth.
I don't know what version of Avisynth I'm using it downloaded loaded with Hybird software

My computer 64bit, I just take my footage from moviestudio and import it into hybrid
set the sound to pass through first, sometime pass through all, then go to the filters tab go to de-interlace, as I'm using lagrith it does not flag interlacing I set it to override in put scan then select upper field first field order 1

For any of this to work I have to set 'Reduce interlace flicker' and de-interlace method to none in my moviestudio software only then does the imported footage in Hybrid de-interlace for me otherwise it does not do anything apart from add shimmer on fast movement, although the interlaced lines remain.

I have tried every option, be it progressive, upperfield, lower field, blend, you name it my friend.

Then I resize it to 4k that way YouTube gives it the better quality VP9 codec.

Here is a very short old news clip I rendered earlier today. I used virtualdub, cleaned it in moviestudio
Upperfield first, de-interlace  method set to none
Expoted upper field first with reduce interlace flicker on.

Lagrith lossless codec used
Final file is Hybrid render file .h264
Bitrate set to 50,000 because I felt like it
Encoding settings (high 4:2:2)
Bit depth 5.2 because hybrid told me to because I was using 4k resolution

Here is the very short clip (it must be very old) it mentions "West Germany" on the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVC5ZjqF0YQ&t=1s

Thanks for this great software and help.
Quote:I don't know what version of Avisynth I'm using it downloaded loaded with Hybird software
Hybrid comes with both 32bit and 64bit Avisynth, by default the 32bit version is used.
One can change that under "Config->Internals->Avisynth->Avisynth type".

Quote: I'm using lagrith it does not flag interlacing I set it to override in put scan then select upper field first field order 1
Assuming your source is 'top field first' and you want to keep the interpolation of the top field that sound correct.

Quote:For any of this to work I have to set 'Reduce interlace flicker' and de-interlace method to none in my moviestudio software only then does the imported footage in Hybrid de-interlace for me otherwise it does not do anything apart from add shimmer on fast movement, although the interlaced lines remain.
Never used that software, can't say anything about it.

Quote:Here is a very short old news clip I rendered earlier today. I used virtualdub, cleaned it in moviestudio
Upperfield first, de-interlace method set to none
Expoted upper field first with reduce interlace flicker on. ....
Not sure what I should say about that clip. It looks oversharpened with halos, wrong aspect ratio and shifted chroma. Smile

Cu Selur
(28.02.2024, 21:22)VCRvideocapturing Wrote: My computer is core i7.
i7 of what kind of type? <10 gen or >9 gen? because intel doubled the threads on gen 10. (talking about desktop computers) and half of the power is not a trascurable thing.
(05.03.2024, 06:12)Selur Wrote:
Quote:I don't know what version of Avisynth I'm using it downloaded loaded with Hybird software
Hybrid comes with both 32bit and 64bit Avisynth, by default the 32bit version is used.
Quote:I will have to set this in hybrid I think I must be using the 32 bit version by default Assuming your source is 'top field first' and you want to keep the interpolation of the top field that sound correct.
Quote:Ok that's good to know

Quote:Never used that software, can't say anything about it.
Could this be the right option do you think?

Quote:Not sure what I should say about that clip. It looks oversharpened with halos, wrong aspect ratio and shifted chroma. Smile
Cu Selur
Avisynth over Sharpens so can NR
Wrong aspect ratio was intentional all YouTubers stretch upscale VHS to make look better I know it doesn't but people do it anyway.
How can I fix shifted chroma?

Did I mess too much with brightness and contrast?
It could be because I routed the set up through a Panasonic DVD recorder to stabilize this picture.

(05.03.2024, 11:06)Bartoloni Wrote:
i7 of what kind of type? <10 gen or >9 gen? because intel doubled the threads on gen 10. (talking about desktop computers) and half of the power is not a trascurable thing.

I will have to check
That information appears on boot up
Or by going to systems info right?

(05.03.2024, 11:06)Bartoloni Wrote:
not sure, will check that info appears on start up.
Or by going to systems info right?
Quote:YouTubers stretch upscale VHS to make look better...
First time I see that this is not done by someone intentionally. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:Avisynth over Sharpens so can NR
That does not make any sense.
Whatever Avisynth does depends on the used filters.
The filters configured by the user, so a general 'Avisynth oversharpens' does not make any sense to me.

Quote:How can I fix shifted chroma?
Would need a sample to the file you feed Hybrid with to give any suggestions.
Hybrid does have chroma ChromaShift an ChromShiftSP (SP= sub pixel) filter, that might do the job.

Cu Selur
(05.03.2024, 17:32)Selur Wrote:
Quote:YouTubers stretch upscale VHS to make look better...
First time I see that this is not done by someone intentionally.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
720x576 is also an upscaling :p
I will have to look for the chrome shift filter in hybrid
I couldn't find the option to change avisynth from 32bit to 64bit in any of the hybrid menu options
Maybe it is already set to 64bit by default because my PC is 64bit? Could it be slow because im encoding at a high bitrate?

Sometimes I'm using 25,000 sometimes 50,000.

I couldn't find the option to change avisynth 32bit to 64bit in all of the hybrid menu option
Could it be because I'm using a higher bitrate to encode the file?
Quote:I couldn't find the option to change avisynth from 32bit to 64bit in any of the hybrid menu options
Maybe it is already set to 64bit by default because my PC is 64bit? Could it be slow because im encoding at a high bitrate?
I wrote where to find the option and not Hybrid does not automatically switch to 64bit.
Quote:Hybrid comes with both 32bit and 64bit Avisynth, by default the 32bit version is used.