This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Issue Deinterlacing Footage
Hi! Back again with some more deinterlacing problems. I have been attempting to deinterlace some footage which I believe is MiniDV, but have struggled to get footage I am happy with. Applying Deinterlacing using QTGMC causes a jagged effect with the bars becoming bigger, so I attempted to halve the height of the image, deinterlace, and resize. However, doing this still leaves a lot of ghosting and jagged edges. The effect is particularly pronounced on this footage of a mouse running on a wheel. I was wondering if there was any way to get an improvement on this image. I am not expecting a perfectly clear image without ghosting, but anything to reduce that effect would be great! I have attached the original file to this post.

Attached Files
.zip   TEST.mov.zip (Size: 17,67 MB / Downloads: 30)
Those are not deinterlacing problems, but problems caused by someone taking interlaced content, resizing it (without taking into account that the content is interlaced) and then saving it as progresive content.
Don't think there is anything that really makes such content better.

Cu Selur
I had this same issue I thought itbwas because of flagging
What is the best solution for this?
Not creating such content with proper capturing and processing.
Other than that the usual approaches are:
a. resize to the original resolution and try to deinterlace
b. use convolution/blur/resize to get rid of the combing
both methods leave, depending on the source serve, ghosting, but there is no way around it.
Sometimes separating the fields and filtering them separately can also help, but in general there is no solution for this with conventional filtering.
=> Unless someone develops a machine learning method/filter for this I don't see any good way to 'restore' anything that is near the original.

Cu Selur
Frustrating! Thanks for confirming though.