This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Does resizing a cropped resolution to a higher one cause video quality degradation?
I have a couple of deinterlaced ProRes videos that I encoded using Hybrid, sourced from Video8 tapes initially captured in VirtualDub. I'm looking to further process these ProRes files with Hybrid to share them with others in an h.264 encode.

Given that my input resolution is 720x480, I'm removing 20 pixels horizontally and 8 pixels vertically to account for headswitch and overscan, which brings the resolution down to 700x472 after cropping. I would then be resizing it to a target resolution of 704x480 for a proper 4:3 aspect ratio using the "Picture Resize" setting. 

Here's my dilemma: Does resizing "up" from 700x472 to 704x480 technically degrade the video quality? Or would it be better to upscale it back to 704x480 instead? Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated. I attached a screenshot to show what i am attempting to do.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Does resizing a cropped resolution to a higher one cause video quality degradation? - by Lunacy - 03.05.2024, 20:56