This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

4k (HDR) x265 → 1080p (SDR) x264, slow speed and low resource utilization
(08.07.2024, 18:50)Selur Wrote: Wrote a small gamma GLSL filter. (will add it to the next release)
Hybrid got only:
* Saturation
* Gamma (new)
as simple glsl filters.
Hybrid also has a filter for:
* DeRinging
* Luma Sharpening
* Adaptive Sharpening
* CAS
* Filmgrain
and a bunch of other filter that are not directly integrated into the gui, see: https://github.com/Selur/hybrid-glsl-filters/

Cu Selur

Neat 😙👌

But judging by the list you've posted, i gather you haven't created/modified any filters to subsitute the following filters = Color→Basic→Levels and/or Color→HDR-2-SDR→HDR10 to SDR  .. yet 🤔?

I mean, are you still going to update the color filters in another future hybrid update, so that it works together without sacrificing performance!?

Ta Ta,
TD(° ^°)
I do not see a way to modify the filters in such a way.
As soon as you switch between GPU and CPU based filters, you will lose some speed.
One could probably port the functionality of Levels to multiple GLSL filters with enough motivation and there are some glsl ports of some of the tone mapping functions, see for example: https://github.com/dmnsgn/glsl-tone-map (no clue whether these are mpv compatible and thus can be used with vs-placebo)

Cu Selur
(08.07.2024, 19:35)Selur Wrote: I do not see a way to modify the filters in such a way.
As soon as you switch between GPU and CPU based filters, you will lose some speed.

Are you saying that ↑ is the root of the "performance" problem iam having ?

I mean, using an gpu based color filter & cpu based color filter at the same time?  Or does this apply to any combo filters used in general 🤔?

Although, the performance hit just happends when using color-basic-level + hdr10-To-SDR (non-DG) filter in my experience so far.   

Aren't those 2 specific filters i just mentioned both cpu based then ?

Anyway, never have had such an huge performance loss using/mixing gpu + cpu based filters.. untill now.. but i have to do some more tests for comparison.. to be absolutely sure of this..

Also, currently iam using solely Nvidia Studio drivers for my 4070ti

ta ta
td
It depends, some filters are simply slow in what they do since they need to do tons of stuff.
Especially if what they are doing has a temporal component, they might not really be suited for multithreading and thus can be a bottleneck.
Filter order also plays a role,..
=> learn the theory behind what is done, learn how to write code to do that, and then write your own filter.

Cu Selur
(08.07.2024, 19:46)Selur Wrote: It depends, some filters are simply slow in what they do since they need to do tons of stuff.
Especially if what they are doing has a temporal component, they might not really be suited for multithreading and thus can be a bottleneck.

I get that , for sure..  Still, and again.. it's the first time i loose QUITE some fps when using 2 filters in conjunction with each other 😅

(08.07.2024, 19:46)Selur Wrote: Filter order also plays a role,..

Yep, still have to play whit that to see, if that helps anything.. 

(08.07.2024, 19:46)Selur Wrote: => learn the theory behind what is done, learn how to write code to do that, and then write your own filter.
Cu Selur

No promises 🫡 ... maybe i should ask Mr/Mrs AI for a sollution .. and if that doesn't work, ask one AI to help and troubleshoot another AI 🤭
No kidding, i literally learned how to use windows Autohotkey scripting with the help of AI LoLzz..

Only problem working with AI is , you have to use and choose the right wording and ask the right question in the right context 🤯

Ta Ta
TD (°^°)
btw. tried to port Levels (https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/4152...libplacebo), but it's not working.
No clue why, I probably overlooked something obvious. Rolleyes