This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] 25i to 29i question
I've had to convert a lot of shot on video material from PAL 25i to 1080i 29.97 (via SVP interpolation to 59.94).

Is there a way to avoid the strobing 'pulldown' effect on scenes with motion?
What is the script you use?
Is the source true interlaced 25i or is it originally 23.976fps which got converted to 25i which you now want to convert?
How is the motion just after the mobbing? Does each frame change (in a scene with horizontal motion)? If not, then the source wasn't true interlaced content-
I assume you are bobbing to 50p, then interpolating to progressive 59.97fps and then you interlace?
This should add motion smoothness, not cause "strobing 'pulldown' effect on scenes with motion".

Cu Selur
It was shot on 1982 PAL video, 25fps interlaced. We discussed how to interpolate the footage in an earlier thread.

I followed the steps in this earlier thread, but I'm getting complaints of pulldown strobing on the movement. I recall you suggested not changing the interlace settings, as Hybrid would work out what to do.
Okay, that did not answer my questions,... Angel
Quote:but I'm getting complaints of pulldown strobing on the movement.
That might be due to the interpolation settings used and the content,...
Depending on the content and the settings, different issues can arise when interpolating.
There are no settings that always produce the best output, filtering always should be adjusted to the source and what you want.
An artificial source with some examples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing maybe that helps to understand what I mean. (will remove the link later)

Cu Selur
What is the best way of avoiding cross scene interpolation - this gives the effect of interlaced fields, but I guess it's where the interpolation has merged two frames from either side of a scene change?
That is what the (scene change) threshold of the interpolation method is for:
For Interframe: Overwriting Smooth and adjusting the settings can help, see: https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:SVPflow
For MVToolsFPS: usually adds blends when a scene change is detected, but it has no parameter for it.
For RIFE / TorchRIFE / RIFEmlrt: Scene change detection and setting a threshold adjusted to the source would be used.
For FramerateConverter: adjusting Mask threshold, Occ Mask threshold, Skip threshold would be used.

Cu Selur
With SVP, is there a simple way of setting it to detect any scene change? Most are obvious to the viewer, but perhaps not to the filter.
I added details tomy previous post.