This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Automatic Chapter Creation
Question 
Hi!  I just found Hybrid and *love* it!  I am trying to do something simple:

1. open multiple video files
2. automatically generate chapters (using each file name)
3. remux to .MKV

Question:  How do I generate the chapters automatically?

I have many folders with many videos that I need to combine into .MKVs and I do not want to manually create chapters.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!  -mBrane
Sorry, but Hybrid isn't the right too for it. Smile
Hybrid can't merge multiple files and I don't plane to change this since it would require a few thousand lines of code changes throughout the source code when done properly.

Cu Selur
(07.07.2018, 19:20)Selur Wrote: Sorry, but Hybrid isn't the right too for it. Smile
Hybrid can't merge multiple files and I don't plane to change this since it would require a few thousand lines of code changes throughout the source code when done properly.

Cu Selur

OK, I will write it.  - mBrane
Good to hear, do you have a decent understanding of Qt and C++?
You basically need to adjust the source code of Hybrid to:
a. properly analyze the sources (mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg, mkvmerge, mkvinfo,.. calls need to be adjusted)
b. check whether a merge is supported or not
c. subtitle, timecode, tag extractors need to be adjusted
d. chapter generation needs to be adjusted
e. job generation for audio, video, subtitle, etc. needs to be adjusted
f. job processing needs to be adjusted
-> writing a new tool which does would probably faster. (fastes might be to 'simply' adjuste mkvmerge to do what you want)

Cu Selur
(09.07.2018, 04:55)Selur Wrote: Good to hear, do you have a decent understanding of Qt and C++?
You basically need to adjust the source code of Hybrid to:
a. properly analyze the sources (mplayer, mencoder, ffmpeg, mkvmerge, mkvinfo,.. calls need to be adjusted)
b. check whether a merge is supported or not
c. subtitle, timecode, tag extractors need to be adjusted
d. chapter generation needs to be adjusted
e. job generation for audio, video, subtitle, etc. needs to be adjusted
f. job processing needs to be adjusted
-> writing a new tool which does would probably faster. (fastes might be to 'simply' adjuste mkvmerge to do what you want)

Cu Selur

I'm not committing to modifying Hybrid.  I'm almost done writing an app that will automatically create a chapters.txt (OGM) and chapters.xml file for any given directory or set of files.  It scans each file for duration and builds the chapters file for you.  This can be added to mkvtoolnix, to allow folks to combine multiple files into a single MKV, without having to painstakingly create chapter files manually.  I've googled the piss out of this and believe that my app will be the first.  - mBrane
Ah okay. Happy you found a way and hope that your program will do what you intend it to do. Smile

Cu Selur
mBrane, do you have plans to  make your program publicly available?
(15.07.2018, 03:10)Rollinnn Wrote: mBrane, do you have plans to  make your program publicly available?

Yes, it is written in vbscript, though, so impossible to protect.  It is now finished.  I call it "Chappy."  It will scan all files specified in a directory, build OGM and XML chapter files, as well as a JSON option file for mkvmerge.  Just run "mkvmerge @mkv_options.json" and it will build your MKV file automatically with chapters that match the names of each file.  This is perfect for combining all of the .AVI files that my old camcorder produced.  It combines them into one track in an MKV.  Also can automatically set the Title to the name of the current subdirectory.

So, just trying to find the best way to release vbscript.  It also leverages mediainfo, so need to ensure that I credit it correctly. - mBrane