Selur's Little Message Board

Full Version: Proper setting for deinterlacing content.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using the following guide:

Typical interlace patterns:
  1. content is progressive:
    • applying AssumeTFF().Bob()* you will see: stop -> forward_movment -> stop -> forward_movement **
    • applying AssumeBFF().Bob()* you will see: stop -> forward_movment -> stop -> forward_movement **

2. content is field shifted:
    • applying AssumeTFF().Bob()* you will see: backwards_movment -> forward_movment -> backwards_movment -> forward_movment **, ***
    • applying AssumeBFF().Bob()* you will see: forward_movment -> stop -> forward_movement -> stop **, ***

3. content is interlaced TFF:
    • applying AssumeTFF().Bob()* you will see: forward_movment -> forward_movment -> forward_movment -> forward_movement **
    • applying AssumeBFF().Bob()* you will see: forward_movment -> backwards_movment -> forward_movement -> backwards_movment **

4. content is interlaced BFF:
    • applying AssumeTFF().Bob()* you will see: forward_movment -> backwards_movment -> forward_movement -> backwards_movment **
    • applying AssumeVFF().Bob()* you will see: forward_movment -> forward_movment -> forward_movment -> forward_movement **

5. content is interlaced XFF with blending:
    • same as the corresponding interlaced pattern, but you will also see some blended (= ghosted) frames in-between

6. content is telecine:
    • applying AssumeVFF().Bob()* you will see 3 times forward_movement 2 still frames
  7. content is mixed:
    • applying AssumeVFF().Bob()* you will see a mix of any of the above
* in Hybrid you would use QTGMC+Bob
** then moving through the content
*** or vice versa

It seems my content is "interlaced XFF with blending" when following the guide. 

What does the X stand for in XFF?
If the video is indeed "XFF with blending" then which option should I choose (mixed, field-blended,etc) when deinterlacing. 

When first loading the video in Hybrid it comes up as progressive but when doing an interlace analysis on the video it results in "bottom field first". Using the above guide using BFF causes back and forth motion but using TFF allows the video to move in a forward only motion. 

Taking older advice from various forums I used "G-spot" to analyze the video and it show the video to be both TFF and BFF. 

This is from a NTSC DVD for a BBC comedy in the early 2000s which I would imagine was originally PAL. 

Thanks.

Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.
Quote:TFF allows the video to move in a forward only motion.
From that I would say: content ist TFF, if you have blended frames and and to get rid of them use: QTGMC + Bob + sRestore (to 25fps).
Since it's on a NTSC DVD I would also look at the content while overwriting the scan order to 'telecine'.
-> if you can share a small sample of the source and send my a link (via pm) I can look at it after work.

Cu Selur