Selur's Little Message Board

Full Version: Help with VHS upscale
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've got an American NTSC VHS, which is an NTSC 29.98 conversion of a PAL shot on video movie. The original master is lost. I have it captured via S-Video.

I'm using QTGMC set to Bob, then sRestore to get the framerate down to 23.976 for a USA Blu-ray release and am resizing to 1080p.

However, on some of the scene changes I'm seeing two blended fields as one frame. What would be the best way to remove those blended frames?

The other films in the same set are all from PAL VHS and there are no probelms when using QTGMC set to Bob, then sRestore to get the framerate down to 23.976.

We need all the films at 23.976 for a feature documentary edit.
Look at the bobbed output without sRestore to see whether the there are none blended frames sRestore could choose.
Assuming there are either try to tweak sRestore to get a better selection or select your own pattern threough SelectEvery or SelectRangeEvery.
Other approaches would be to write some custom scripts to get rid of the ghosting or the specifc frames and create new ones through interpolation.

Cu Selur
The bobbed copy also has blended frames. I guess my only option is to cut those frames out?
In Avisynth there's a filter called ExBlend (http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ExBlend) which does remove some of the blends:
[Image: exblend.png]
, sadly there isn't an alternative for it for Vapoursynth. Also it's not included in Hybrid. Also I have no exprience in using it. (Can't get the 2pass filtering which should be used nowadays to work.)
and some of the blends it doesn't get:
[Image: exblend-not-getting-it.png]
so there might still be hope for the future, but atm. this can only be fixed through some manual scripting.

Cu Selur
Just looked at the source again and I'm not sure that source really is interlaced.
Overwriting the scan order to progressive, most of the clip seems progressive. -> You might want to look into you capturing process,...
It's definitely interlaced, bottom field first.
It's stored interlaced, but it seems like the content isn't,... (but not 100% sure, since I'm only on a small laptop atm.)
I'll send you a sample clip.
Wasn't "Courage the Cowardly Dog S02E17E18 SOURCE" was a sample of the source?
No, nothing to do with me.
Pages: 1 2 3