Selur's Little Message Board

Full Version: QTGMC settings advices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
First, thanks a lot for your work. I'm in the process of recovering "old" familly footage. I've tried many settings with Topaz and I couldn't avoid artifacts and artificial rendering while all I want it to properly deinterlace my footage and store it in a not-too-lossy and up-to-date file format, for backup and short-future editing. I went to read about QTGMC but I was undewhelmed by the Avisynth installation process. So thank you for Hybrid.

I'm more newbee than expert and there is obviously a lot to learn to understand the various options. I have mainly 2 kinds of footage :
  • Low quality PAL interlaced MPG2 recorded with an "HDD" camcorder 15 years ago, often quite soft
  • Decent 1080i MP4 recorded with various cameras (probably 4:2:0)

In either case, I don't want to overcook rendering and I'd prefer to avoid post processing that doesn't take advantage of the deinterlacing process. Typically, if I understood well, I want BOB while QTGMC because it should be better than frame interpolation later (information drawn from odd-even and even-off frame pairs). If deinterlacing works better with a small amount of denoise, be it. But not too much, please.

With that in mind, what would be your recommended settings to achieve this kind of results ? And what output would be adequate if I want to spare a bit space so I'm opened to measurable lossy, but not at the expanse of an obvious loss of IQ ? I won't fine tune file by file and I'll rather conver overnight profided I have decent settings.
My 2 cents.
You will have to test a bit with your content.
First, I would try with the default QTGMC + Bob + Preset 'Fast' this is what I usually use for most content.
After that try, Preset 'Custom' + Preset 'Fast' and Lossless set to 'after temporal smoothing', you can also try lowering the Sharpness.

You can tweak QTGMC quite a bit more to be more lossless, but one of the pros in my book with QTGMC is that it is doing some additional filtering.

Code:
QTGMC(TR0=2, TR1=2, TR2=1, Rep0=1, Rep1=0, Rep2=4, DCT=5, ThSCD1=300, ThSCD2=110, SourceMatch=3, Lossless=2, Sharpness=0.1, Sbb=0, MatchPreset="slow", NoiseProcess=2, GrainRestore=0.0, NoiseRestore=0.4, NoisePreset="slow", StabilizeNoise=false, NoiseTR=0, NoiseDeint="bob")
is probably one of the mos lossless settings, but I would recommend only going into that direction with high quality content or when creating intermediate content that you want to additional filtering on. (for some of these setting, you will have to use the 'Addition' option in QTGMC since not all of these settings are directly integrated into the ui.

Cu Selur
Thanks. Your 2 cents value much more to me. So I'll try your settings as a starting point (I hate doing things blindly anyway but I need to be put in the right direction to avoid catastrophic and stupid mistakes). Note that I don't really want "lossless" but rather something not so far yet with decent file sizes (a kind of sweet spot).

And I see this processing as a first step before editing and perhaps upscale with Topaz or such. So I'd like not to prevent future enhancements and I prefer to keep only what QTGMC does really very well. Is filtering one on those things (I'll try to undestand what it means BTW). AI will correct thing is has been trained for, so if I tweak thinks too much, up to a point where AI doesn't recognise "patterns", I'm afraid to put AI out of its well working boundaries.
Hi Selur,

Could you please guide me some of the settings/checkboxes are disabled how to enabled them to use them.
For Ex. Under QTGMC some options are not clickable or like removeDirt is also un clickable.
Settings are usually disabled if they depend on other options, for QTMC you need to select preset 'Custom' since you want to use settings not specified by a profile.
RemoveDirt in Vapoursynth got disabled since there is so no version for Vapoursynth that properly works.
(didn't knot that when I added the option, and I still hope that once upon a time someone implements a working version of it)

Cu Selur
Thank you for your reply.
Just one question can we cut/ or filter some of the parts of the video like start and end time points in the hybrid please suggest.
Also how to add the additional settings into QTGMC is it added and separated by commas or just plain text?
I don't really understand the question. (lost in translation)
Hybrid can:
a. filter parts of a clip differently (requires you to enable 'Apply only to' and if a filter should be applied to different settings also the usage of the 'Vapoursynth FilterQueue' mode.
b. do a single cut-out when "Config->Internals->Cut Support *experimental*" is enabled (make sure to read the tool-tips), it enables cut settings in the 'Base'-tab.

Quote:Also how to add the additional settings into QTGMC is it added and separated by commas or just plain text?
QTGMC has an 'Addition' field:
Quote:Addition:
Here you can add additional parameters of QTGMC which are not covered by Hybrid.

Warning:
Hybrid does not validate these settings in any way so be sure to check the Script Preview to know that what you want is really entered.
where you can add additional options to the QTGMC call. (check the script preview to see how the 'Addition' gets added.)

Cu Selur
How to crop the video in hybrid to filter it like suppose there is one video having 20 mins so I want 5 min from that video which needs to be filtered only so I can export only 5 mins from that video.

Also can you please check the screenshot that is this way to add additional settings into QTGMC?
There are a few things wrong.
a. those are parameters for Avisynth QTGMC, in Vapoursynth 'True' and 'False' are used, not 'true' and 'false'.
b. since the 'Addition'-text is directly added to the script you need to start with a comma ','. => look at the script view

Side node: if you want to see all the current setting of QTGMC, enable 'Show settings'.
Here's a screenshot of what it looks like with 'Show settings' enabled and having the Vapoursynth Script View and the Vapoursynth Preview open.
[Image: grafik.png]

Cu Selur
(14.10.2023, 18:50)Selur Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few things wrong.
a. those are parameters for Avisynth QTGMC, in Vapoursynth 'True' and 'False' are used, not 'true' and 'false'.
b. since the 'Addition'-text is directly added to the script you need to start with a comma ','. => look at the script view
Side node: if you want to see all the current setting of QTGMC, enable 'Show settings'.
Here's a screenshot of what it looks like with 'Show settings' enabled and having the Vapoursynth Script View and the Vapoursynth Preview open.
[Image: grafik.png]
Cu Selur
I got your point and what about the below scenario Selur.
Quote: "How to crop the video in hybrid to filter it like suppose there is one video having 20 mins so I want 5 min from that video which needs to be filtered only so I can export only 5 mins from that video."
Pages: 1 2 3