Selur's Little Message Board

Full Version: properties of a video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Maybe it's out of context, but i'm asking anyway :
I'd like to know if it's possible to set the properties of a video, and if yes with which tool.

indeed, i use filebot to rename automatically episodes of a series, and i saw (here) that it can retrieve the properties such as "source", "lang", etc.
I asked on its forum how it does that (I presume with MediaInfo but I'm not sure, because i never saw the "source" in MediaInfo", but who knows...)

But as my episodes don't have these informations (i don't see them in MediaInfo), I'd like to add them

thank you very much in advance for your help
--> could Hybrid do it w/o encoding ?

regards
Long answer:
What your are referring to is adding tags to files.
There are tons of tags for different containers, see for example https://matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html for tags in .mkv files.
Hybrid has basic support for adding tags (to most containers) through it's 'Tag'-tab and some additional tagging support for mkv through 'Config->Output->MKV Tags'.
There is no functionality to automatically tag content, so you have to set the tags yourself.

That said, there are also special tools for tagging mkv files.
MKVtoolinx (https://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html) comes with a free editor 'mkvpropedit' (https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvpropedit.html), which can be used through the mkvtoolnix-gui or through the command line.

Short:
Yes, Hybrid can add basic tags to files without the need to reencode, but Hybrid will need to remux the files.
There are tools like mkvpropedit which can change the header/tag/metadata in-place.
-> depending on what you want using another tool is probably the better way to go.

Cu Selur
SUPER !!!!
what a relief !!!

sincerely

EDIT1 :
when i split a tagged file into multiple ones, are the tags kept in the new files ?
   Edit-tonight : i used mkvtoolnix to set parameters before splitting, and the tags are not kept systematically :
  • Audio->Language/String keeps the parameter
  • General->EncodingLibrary/String does not
  • General->Movie does not
???

EDIT2 :
i didn't find in Hybrid smthg which looks like "audio" or "language" (to modify the language)...
am i right ?

(-->wouldn't it be better if the keywords were ordered alphabetically ?)

EDIT3 :
i can see with Mediainfo in a mkv that there's a parameter called "Movie" (which is supposed to store the title) : with which mkv tag could i set in with Hybrid please (as my goal is to use only one tool if possible) ?
Like I wrote before the 'Tags'-tab contains the basic tagging, which you seem to have totally ignored.
  • Under Tags->Container you can set container tags for Name, Genre, Comments and add a cover image.
    (remember to add the setting to the 'Tag-Queue')
  • Under Tabs->Streams you can set Title and Language for each of the video,- audio-, subtitle-streams.

Quote:i can see with Mediainfo in a mkv that there's a parameter called "Movie" (which is supposed to store the title) : with which mkv tag could i set in with Hybrid please ?
Don't care or know how mediainfo names the tags, since that changes every few years. If you want to set a title for a file use the Tags->Container->Title.

Cu Selur
Hi,

thank you for trying to help me even when i don't understand everything you write (but that doesn't mean i ignore it)...

I had a look at the different links you provided (then I found mkvtoolnix that i used), but i didn't know what to do with the list of possible tags for a mkv container...
I understand that Hybrid provide/can use only a few of them under 'Config->Output->MKV tags->Tag name' :
  • in the list, I found "title" that i'll try ASP Shy
  • but i didn't find anything related to "audio" Sad  - and i looked everywhere
indeed, i read many times your answer but I don't see what you mean when you write :
  • Under Tags->Container you can set container tags for Name, Genre, Comments and add a cover image.

• Under Tabs->Streams you can set Title and Language for each of the video,- audio-, subtitle-streams.

--> i don't see where it is, i only have 'Config->Output->MKV tags->Tag name' or '...->value' above a big window named "Container - Tags" (which will contain all the added tags i presume)

I looked everywhere in the menus, but i didn't find "Tags->Container" neither "Tabs (or Tags)->Streams"
(under 'Config->Output' i only have 'container settings', 'filename generation', 'thumbnail settings', 'MKV Tags' or 'MKV container')

regards
Make sure to enabled 'Base->Tabs->Tagging', otherwise the 'Tags'-tab isn't there.

Cu Selur
ah yes...
it helps a lot indeed...

so, an other (strange ?) question :
what are the differences between :
- Tags->Container->Name : name of the container ?
- Tags->Streams->Title : name/title of the video/audio track ?
- Config->Output->MKV Tags->Tag name->title : title of... ? of the movie ?

regards
hi

i made some tests with :
- Tags->Streams->Language
- Config->Output->MKV Tags->Tag name->title
and what i experienced is (as you said) that it's possible to add the tags without encoding Smile , ie.
- Base->Processing->Video->passthrough

Note1 : i tended at 1st to forget to add the tag by clicking on the "+" or on the arrow at the end of the line...

Note2 : As i have video files containing 6 or 7 cartoons, it's possible to have the tags in each separate/different cartoon by specifying the tags in the video file 1st, and then splitting it according chapter points !
Smile

now i have to find the best tags to use between :
- Tags->Container->Name
- Tags->Streams->Title
- Config->Output->MKV Tags->Tag name->title
Angel 

EDIT 8/12
what i think after some tests :
- Tags->Container->Name : name of the container ~ title of the movie (seen in MediaInfo as "Movie Title" in "General" parameters)
- Tags->Streams->Title : title of the audio/video track
- Config->Output->MKV Tags->Tag name->title : title of the movie (seen in MediaInfo as "Movie Title")

NOTA1 : it seems that 'Config->Output->MKV Tags->Tag name->title' is erased by 'Tags->Container->Name' if present
NOTA2 : i ddn't succeed to store neither 'Tags->Streams->audio stream->Language' = "xxx", neither 'Config->Output->MKV Tags->Tag name->title = "xxx"' in a global profile, i have always to add them again after loading a movie and/or my profile
???

regards
Quote:: i ddn't succeed to store 'Config->Output->MKV Tags->Tag name->title = "xxx"' in a global profile,
Yes, that is by design, doesn't really make sense to me to keep tags inside a profile, since tags should be file specific.

Cu Selur
Correction, I looked at the code and I did change that quite a while ago.
Saving the Title-Tag from Config->Output->MKV Tags in the defaults or a global profile works fine here.
Just the 'Tag-Queue' (like all other queues isn't saved)
Hybrid did have an option to even allowing to save the 'Tag-Queue', but that was removed a while back.
Pages: 1 2