This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Saving Configuration for all settings
Will look into it.
Quote:For some reason Command Line shows that value “25 –slices” is changed from “40 –slices” that was on the Command Line before closing/restarting Hybrid.
rc-lookahead wasn't properly adjusted, the 25 is the correct value, since rc-lookahead should be restricted to min(maxGop/2, 250) in x264.
-> should be fixed in the next version I'll send you

Quote:Now I want to apply Preset Medium:

Enable 'x264->Base->Restriction Settings->Preset' to 'medium'
Apply the preset ('x264->Base->Restriction Settings->Preset->Apply Preset')

Now is the Problem:
· X264>Frames>Max Number of Reference Frames number has changed back to 3.
· GOP Size Min value also changed from 1 to 0.
The first one is correct. Since the 3 is the default in the Medium preset and it does not violate the Blu-ray restriction.
Second one is wrong. Min should still be 1.
-> should be fixed in the next version I'll send you

Quote:Command Line shows: preset fast --pass 2 --– no longer Medium applied.

From now it is no way to get Reference Frames number 5 and Medium applied at the same time!
If I change them they jump back and forth.
That is correct since the there are less changed between 'Fast' preset to your settings than there are for 'Medium' so to limit the settings count (since 'x264->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line' is enabled), Hybrid will choose 'Fast' as base preset.
If this is confusing to you, simply disable 'x264->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line' this way no preset or tune name will show in the command line.

=> will build, package and send you a new dev version which should fix the 1st two issues in ~30min.

Cu Selur
Thanks for fixing.
Few small things.

Configuration Apply arrow - Why need to click that twice?

·       Start Hybrid
·       Open Video file
·       X264>Base>Configuration>choosing, applying “H264 Hybrid Default” (For some reason need to click Configuration Apply arrow twice in order to stop data changing in the Command Line window. After second click it was changed).

Should I click once or need to click twice?

·       X264>Frames>Max Number of Reference Frames – setting slider to 5 (Or using Slow Preset)

If Ref Frames set to 3, Command Line shows: ref 3
If Ref Frames set to 4, Command Line shows: ref 4
If Ref Frames set to 5, Command Line does not show ref xx anymore, why?

Finally I understood what actually Preset “Medium” means and does. Medium (or other preset names) acts as a preset/configuration and sets/hold other x264 parameters, such Frames parameters - Number of Reference Frames and etc.
My stupid. That was my confusion, I was trying to set Frame parameters manually and on top applying Preset. They were just fighting to each other which parameters to apply.

Just an idea, that Preset and Tune should be as separate “Presets” Section/Box, not included in to Restrictions Section.
Since Preset is not a Restriction, just a set of settings that can be freely changed/adjusted inside Restrictions boundaries.
Logically, from the user point of view thinking, you first apply Restrictions, after General settings, and now apply Preset, if you want to play with different presets. If not, leave that separate Presets Section alone and set everything manually.

In Restriction section you change restrictions, Preset is there – OK, changing preset as well, after you go to other X264 settings and basically override Preset without even knowing.
Most likely other users did not to have that problem J

OK, I will use presets and not mess around with manual settings.
If encoding timing is not a big issue for me, what preset is recommended for VHS, DV avi captures form camcorders?

Looks like Slower, since it sets the highest allowed number of Reference Frames, sets Quantization Trellis to always, they are helpful to get higher encoding quality.
Quote:X264>Base>Configuration>choosing, applying “H264 Hybrid Default” (For some reason need to click Configuration Apply arrow twice in order to stop data changing in the Command Line window. After second click it was changed).

Should I click once or need to click twice?
No clue why it requires 2 clicks for you, works on my system on the first click. Huh

Quote:X264>Frames>Max Number of Reference Frames – setting slider to 5 (Or using Slow Preset)

If Ref Frames set to 3, Command Line shows: ref 3
If Ref Frames set to 4, Command Line shows: ref 4
If Ref Frames set to 5, Command Line does not show ref xx anymore, why?
Because that is the default values (of either the 'medium' or the preset set by '--preset XX' are hidden.
If you want to see a command line with no hidden settings disable 'x264->Misc->Main->Adjustments->Minimize command line'

Quote:Just an idea, that Preset and Tune should be as separate “Presets” Section/Box, not included in to Restrictions Section.
I'll think about it.

Quote:If encoding timing is not a big issue for me, what preset is recommended for VHS, DV avi captures form camcorders?
Encoding settings don't matter that much, better learn how to properly filter your content. ('slow' and 'slower' are the only profiles I usually use as a base for my settings)

Cu Selur
Encoding Mode question:

I was trying to follow recommendations and trying to use:
·       X264>Base> General Settings> Encoding Mode> CRF (1-pass).

What is strange that CRF setting at either 18, 15, or either 12 value makes encoded the same bitrate ~10Mbps file.

Might be VHS just does not have enough details/resolution that would require bigger than 10Mbps bitrate to encode at specified Rate Factor, t I am in doubt.
Is this right?

So I switched to Specific File Size/Bitrate (2 –pass), setting 22500kbps for Blu Ray compliancy.
But which one is recommended: CRF, Average Bitrate (1 pass), Specific File Size/Bitrate (2 –pass)?

Quote:What is strange that CRF setting at either 18, 15, or either 12 value makes encoded the same bitrate ~10Mbps file.

Might be VHS just does not have enough details/resolution that would require bigger than 10Mbps bitrate to encode at specified Rate Factor, t I am in doubt.
Is this right?
Depending on your other settings especially VBV it might be that x264 is saturated for that source.
To be sure try what happens if you use lossless encoding('constant quantizer (1-pass)' + Quantizer strength 0 + lossless) to see the maximal bit rate x264 would use to archive a lossless copy of the content you feed it with.

Quote:So I switched to Specific File Size/Bitrate (2 –pass), setting 22500kbps for Blu Ray compliancy.
might be a waste of space, might be okay,... you need to look at the output.

Quote:But which one is recommended: CRF, Average Bitrate (1 pass), Specific File Size/Bitrate (2 –pass)?
I would say:
crf: is recommended when you do care about an average detail retention and do not care about file size
2pass.: is recommend if you aim for a specific file size
abr: I do not see any scenario there I would recommend abr encoding of offline files (might be okay when live streaming, but otherwise I see no use for it aside from testing stuff out)

Cu Selur
Is it possible to use an external DV decoder?

For my DV avi camcorder videos I would like to use my own MainConcept_DV_Codec_v2.4.16 decoder.

Something should be done under:
·       Config>Input> Decoding> what after this?
Quote:Is it possible to use an external DV decoder?

For my DV avi camcorder videos I would like to use my own MainConcept_DV_Codec_v2.4.16 decoder.
Assuming that decoder installs a 64bit VFW decoder you could enable "Filtering->Vapoursynth->Prefer AviSource for .avi input" which will cause Hybrid to use AviSource as source filter if it finds a matching VFW decoder on the system. Assuming you do not have multiple 64bit VFW decoders on your system AviSource would then use your MainConvept DV Decoder.
If there is no 64bit vfw decoder for the format, Hybrid will not use AviSource in Vapoursynth.
When using 32bit Avisynth: a 32bit vfw dv decoder and enabling 'Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->Source->Prefer AviSource for avi input' would be required.
When using 62bit Avisynth: a 64bit vfw dv decoder and enabling 'Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->Source->Prefer AviSource for avi input' would be required.
When using mencoder as decoder: writing some custom codec settings would be required and it might still not work.
When using ffmpeg as decoder: no chance, ffmpeg does not support vfw decoders.

Quote:Something should be done under:
· Config>Input> Decoding> what after this?
Nope, those are general decoding setting and not Vapoursynth related.

Cu Selur
It works.

MainConcept_DV_Codec is 32-bit, hence I have to use it with Avisynth.
If I disable that DV codec in PC system using Utility MMCompView, the preview under Avisynth does not work (also Hybrid cannot encode file, shows error), message says it cannot find decompressor.
That is OK, that way I can check if my DV codec is being used.

Vapoursynth used in Hybrid as 64-bit only, if this is the case, in order to use MainConcept_DV_Codec I need to process all filtering with Avisynth instead of Vapoursynth, correct?

Well, I do not want to switch to Avisynth, since I was reading on forums that QTGMC Deinterlacer works better with Vapoursynth, is this kind correct assumptions?

Also there are much more filter using Vapoursynth.

If so, I will stick with standard DV decoder whichever Vapoursynth uses.
Quote:Vapoursynth used in Hybrid as 64-bit only, if this is the case, in order to use MainConcept_DV_Codec I need to process all filtering with Avisynth instead of Vapoursynth, correct?
Correct.

Quote:Well, I do not want to switch to Avisynth, since I was reading on forums that QTGMC Deinterlacer works better with Vapoursynth, is this kind correct assumptions?
From my experience quality of QTGMC in Avisynth and Vapoursynth does not really differ, but Vapoursynth is more consistent in handling color spaces and Vapoursynth usually is better when it comes to handling multithreading.

Cu Selur