This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Crash When Encoding DV AVI to x264?
Hello all, I'm still fairly new to Hybrid so please bear with me. I have successfully used Hybrid in the past to encode avi files from VirtualDub. In this case, I am trying to re-encode DV video in the form of avi files to convert them to mp4, and also to deinterlace. I have attached the debug output. Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me to help figure out this issue.
Okay, seeing that you are using Windows 7 a few things. Smile
Windows 7 was dropped with 2021.01.31.1 (see: https://www.selur.de/changelog), but it might still work iirc. there are a few users that use Hybrid on Windows 7 with the latest version.

Here are a few things you can try:
  • check the Vapoursynth Preview and see whether it shows an error, let me know if it works or not.
    Since x264 reports ' y4m [error]: bad sequence header magic' it probably is a decoding problem.
    In case the decoding of the file fails:
    • Since you use DV and before used VirtualDub, you could try whether it helps to enable "Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->Source->Prefer AviSource for .avi input". This way Hybrid will look for a 64bit vfw dv codec on your system an in case there is one use that.
  • change 'Filtering->Support' to 'Avisynth' and try whether the preview works fine.
    • Since you use DV and before used VirtualDub, you could try whether it helps to enable "Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->Source->Prefer AviSource for .avi input". This way Hybrid will look for a 32it vfw dv codec on your system an in case there is one use that. (64bit version in case Config->Internals->Avisynth->Avisynth type" is set to '64bit'.)
    • Since ffms2 is used as decoder, you could try using an older FFMS2 version (https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases); 32bit dll belongs into 'Hybrid\32bit\avisynthPlugins'-folder, 64bit dll belongs into 'Hybrid\64bit\Avisynth\avisynthPlugins' folder.
  • try a later Hybrid version

If you can upload a small sample somewhere and send me a link to it I can try whether it's a general decoding issue with your file.
I tried some content with the same characteristics of your file (# color space: YUV411P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x480, fps: 29.97, color matrix: 470bg, yuv luminance scale: limited, scanorder: bottom field first) and had no issue decoding (and encoding to 422 x264) it.

The Vapoursynth script used:
# Imports
import os
import sys
import ctypes
# Loading Support Files
Dllref = ctypes.windll.LoadLibrary("C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libfftw3f-3.dll")
import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
# Import scripts folder
scriptPath = 'C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsscripts'
sys.path.append(os.path.abspath(scriptPath))
# Loading Plugins
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/AddGrain/AddGrain.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/NEO_FFT3DFilter/neo-fft3d.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/DFTTest/DFTTest.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/EEDI3.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/ResizeFilter/nnedi3/vsznedi3.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libmvtools.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/temporalsoften.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/scenechange.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/fmtconv.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SourceFilter/FFMS2/ffms2.dll")
# Import scripts
import havsfunc
# source: 'E:\Temp Videos\Means DV Temp\Allie Bball - Emily Field Trip '05 temp.avi'
# current color space: YUV411P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x480, fps: 29.97, color matrix: 470bg, yuv luminance scale: limited, scanorder: bottom field first
# Loading source using FFMS2
clip = core.ffms2.Source(source="E:/Temp Videos/Means DV Temp/Allie Bball - Emily Field Trip '05 temp.avi",cachefile="C:/Users/Zack/AppData/Local/Temp/2021-07-31@13_00_52_5310.ffindex",format=vs.YUV411P8,alpha=False)
# making sure input color matrix is set as 470bg
clip = core.resize.Point(clip, matrix_in_s="470bg",range_s="limited")
# making sure frame rate is set to 29.970
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001)
# Setting color range to TV (limited) range.
clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_ColorRange", intval=1)
# adjusting color space from YUV411P8 to YUV444P8 for VsQTGMC
clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P8, range_s="limited")
# setting field order to what QTGMC should assume (bottom field first)
clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_FieldBased", intval=1)
# Deinterlacing using QTGMC
clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Faster", TFF=False) # new fps: 59.94
# make sure content is preceived as frame based
clip = core.std.SetFieldBased(clip, 0)
# adjusting output color from: YUV444P8 to YUV422P8 for x264Model (i422@8)
clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV422P8, range_s="limited")
# set output frame rate to 59.940fps
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=60000, fpsden=1001)
# Output
clip.set_output()
also looks fine to me.

Cu Selur
(31.07.2021, 20:26)Selur Wrote: Okay, seeing that you are using Windows 7 a few things. Smile
Windows 7 was dropped with 2021.01.31.1 (see: https://www.selur.de/changelog), but it might still work iirc. there are a few users that use Hybrid on Windows 7 with the latest version.

Here are a few things you can try:
  • check the Vapoursynth Preview and see whether it shows an error, let me know if it works or not.
    Since x264 reports ' y4m [error]: bad sequence header magic' it probably is a decoding problem.
    In case the decoding of the file fails:
    • Since you use DV and before used VirtualDub, you could try whether it helps to enable "Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->Source->Prefer AviSource for .avi input". This way Hybrid will look for a 64bit vfw dv codec on your system an in case there is one use that.
  • change 'Filtering->Support' to 'Avisynth' and try whether the preview works fine.
    • Since you use DV and before used VirtualDub, you could try whether it helps to enable "Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->Source->Prefer AviSource for .avi input". This way Hybrid will look for a 32it vfw dv codec on your system an in case there is one use that. (64bit version in case Config->Internals->Avisynth->Avisynth type" is set to '64bit'.)
    • Since ffms2 is used as decoder, you could try using an older FFMS2 version (https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases); 32bit dll belongs into 'Hybrid\32bit\avisynthPlugins'-folder, 64bit dll belongs into 'Hybrid\64bit\Avisynth\avisynthPlugins' folder.
  • try a later Hybrid version

If you can upload a small sample somewhere and send me a link to it I can try whether it's a general decoding issue with your file.
I tried some content with the same characteristics of your file (# color space: YUV411P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x480, fps: 29.97, color matrix: 470bg, yuv luminance scale: limited, scanorder: bottom field first) and had no issue decoding (and encoding to 422 x264) it.

The Vapoursynth script used:
# Imports
import os
import sys
import ctypes
# Loading Support Files
Dllref = ctypes.windll.LoadLibrary("C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libfftw3f-3.dll")
import vapoursynth as vs
core = vs.get_core()
# Import scripts folder
scriptPath = 'C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsscripts'
sys.path.append(os.path.abspath(scriptPath))
# Loading Plugins
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/AddGrain/AddGrain.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/NEO_FFT3DFilter/neo-fft3d.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/DFTTest/DFTTest.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/EEDI3.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/ResizeFilter/nnedi3/vsznedi3.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libmvtools.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/temporalsoften.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/scenechange.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/fmtconv.dll")
core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SourceFilter/FFMS2/ffms2.dll")
# Import scripts
import havsfunc
# source: 'E:\Temp Videos\Means DV Temp\Allie Bball - Emily Field Trip '05 temp.avi'
# current color space: YUV411P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x480, fps: 29.97, color matrix: 470bg, yuv luminance scale: limited, scanorder: bottom field first
# Loading source using FFMS2
clip = core.ffms2.Source(source="E:/Temp Videos/Means DV Temp/Allie Bball - Emily Field Trip '05 temp.avi",cachefile="C:/Users/Zack/AppData/Local/Temp/2021-07-31@13_00_52_5310.ffindex",format=vs.YUV411P8,alpha=False)
# making sure input color matrix is set as 470bg
clip = core.resize.Point(clip, matrix_in_s="470bg",range_s="limited")
# making sure frame rate is set to 29.970
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001)
# Setting color range to TV (limited) range.
clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_ColorRange", intval=1)
# adjusting color space from YUV411P8 to YUV444P8 for VsQTGMC
clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P8, range_s="limited")
# setting field order to what QTGMC should assume (bottom field first)
clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_FieldBased", intval=1)
# Deinterlacing using QTGMC
clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Faster", TFF=False) # new fps: 59.94
# make sure content is preceived as frame based
clip = core.std.SetFieldBased(clip, 0)
# adjusting output color from: YUV444P8 to YUV422P8 for x264Model (i422@8)
clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV422P8, range_s="limited")
# set output frame rate to 59.940fps
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=60000, fpsden=1001)
# Output
clip.set_output()
also looks fine to me.

Cu Selur
Thank you so much for the quick response! I checked the preview and the log said "Failed to Initialize VapourSynth." Also, I updated to the latest version of Hybrid. I tried enabling the "Prefer Avisource for .avi input," however it still crashed.

I switched over to Avisynth and preferred Avisource for that, but I got the following error when I ran the preview:

Avisynth preview error: -> MDegrain1 : no valid OVERSCHROMA function for 16x16, bitsperpixel=8, lsb_flag=0, level=1 (C:\Program Files\Hybrid\64bit\Avisynth\avisynthPlugins\QTGMC.avsi, line 759) (C:\Users\Zack\AppData\Local\Temp\tempPreviewAvisynthFile15_16_55_602_tmp.avs, line 16)

I can also confirm that it is not one specific file that I'm having this issue with, as I have tried several similar files and have had the same results.
Please don't blindy quote my whole posts, it really makes it harder to read your post. :/

Avisynth preview error: -> MDegrain1 : no valid OVERSCHROMA function for 16x16, bitsperpixel=8, lsb_flag=0, level=1 (C:\Program Files\Hybrid\64bit\Avisynth\avisynthPlugins\QTGMC.avsi, line 759) (C:\Users\Zack\AppData\Local\Temp\tempPreviewAvisynthFile15_16_55_602_tmp.avs, line 16)
Okay, I can reproduce that problem is that QTGMC doesn't support 411 sampling.
Try:
  • enable "Filtering->Custom->Insert before"
  • set "Filtering->Custom->Insert before" to "Deinterlace"
  • enable "Filtering->Custom->enable" and enter
    # adjust color to YV12 (color matrix: Rec601)
    ConvertToYV12(ChromaOutPlacement="DV")
    # colorformat YV12
that hopefully fixes the issue. (will adjust Avisynth QTGMC handle 411 content in the next release) -> send you a link to a dev version which does the adjustment automatially so no custom code for Avisynth is needed.

Cu Selur