This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Subtitle Tagging & MP4's
I am not sure if the issue I am having is a bug with Hybrid or a feature that is not supported by Hybrid or simply a problem with the MP4 container.  My issue is that I was trying to add 3 subtitles to an MP4 file.  I was able to add them, but the tag only gets written for the first subtitle and it shows up correctly ("English"), the other two ("French" and "Spanish") come out as "und" when trying to select a subtitle when the video is played on MPC-BE or VLC. The subtitles are there and work when selected, the problem is the tags that label subtitles two and three.  I have tried everything I can think of, many of them more than once.  The ironic part is that when I followed the exact same steps but changed the container I was saving it to, to a MKV file, the subtitles came out with the correct tags. 

I am running Windows 10, Hybrid version 2021.07.18.1, 64 bit. 

Here is my procedure:

Please note that the only change I made to the Config Tab was to select the Video and Audio Tags passthrough options under the Automation tab.

1) Load video file.
2) Set the output path and filename
2) Select the video and audio options
3) Select "Tagging" and "Subtitles"
4) Video and Audio are passthrough, so this ends the video and audio options
5) Go to the Subtitle Tab and load subtitle file into the Subtitle Queue
6) Go to Tagging Tab and select Streams
7) Go to the Subtitle tag and check the check mark for language and select the language
8) Click the arrow icon next to the language drop down menu to place it on the Tag Queue and confirm that it actually is in the Queue
9)  Repeat steps 5 - 8 for the next two subtitles
10) I next added chapters.
11) Go back to the "Base" tab and click the guy with the shovel. 
12) Wait until I get a notification that says it's done and then try the file to see if the tags on the subs showed up.

The above worked fine for the MKV file, but not for MP4.  Not a big deal when it comes to MKV vs. MP4, the frustrating part was that I wasted quite a bit of time before I decided to try a different container and it came out perfectly the first time.

Just for S&G, I tried to change the container from the successful MKV file back to an MP4, but I cannot figure out how to get the subtitles to passthrough.  The resulting MP4 comes out with no subtitles.  Oh, and I tried to mux in the subtitles one at a time, but like with the MKV to MP4 experiment, the original subtitle would get stripped out and only the one I was adding would end up with the resulting file.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong or what I need to look at are appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Sounds right, would need a debug output of the job creation and processing to see where the problem is.

Cu Selur
--- mainly offline 20.-26 of May ---
(03.08.2021, 05:01)Selur Wrote: Sounds right, would need a debug output of the job creation and processing to see where the problem is.

Cu Selur

OK, I'll go through the process with the debug log on.  Just attach it to the thread or PM you?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
Either zip ist and attach it to the thread or upload it somewhere and send me a link via pm.
Cu Selur
(03.08.2021, 17:07)Selur Wrote: Either zip ist and attach it to the thread or upload it somewhere and send me a link via pm.
Cu Selur

Update: the next morning, I took the MP4 file with the audio tracks, had Hybrid add in the subtitles with the tags, just like I outlined in my original post (including the chapters), and the resulting MP4 had the correct tags and everything.  Not sure if that was a fluke or not, but after watching the video and hearing the audio, I decided to replace one of the audio tracks.  I started everything all over with the "raw" video and add the audio first, just like I had done the last time, and I used Hybrid to do it.  Then I would add in the subtitles once that finished, but now it keeps exiting process of adding in the audio files under some error.  Not sure what the problem is, the only difference is the one audio track and it is not too different from the one I was able to add-in without a problem before (essentially the same track, the previous track I had used Audacity to "widen" the left and right channels a bit more than the original track, which is what I decided to go with after experimenting with the modified track).  I have not had time to mess with it since the other day, but wanted to give an update on why I have not provided the log file, yet.  If I can't get the audio issue worked out, I will be uploading that log file.

Thanks again for your help.
If you find a way to reproduce it let me know and share a debug output so I can see what happens and fix the problem.

Cu Selur
(07.08.2021, 07:24)Selur Wrote: If you find a way to reproduce it let me know and share a debug output so I can see what happens and fix the problem.

Cu Selur

Thanks, Cu Selur.  I was able to fix the audio issue by selecting "Auto fix for MP4" under the Audio->Misc tab.  It took me a while and quite a few failed audio attempts before I checked that box and it finally accepted the audio stream I wanted to substitute in.  After that, the subtitles went in the first time, no issues, just like I posted earlier.  Now the issue I am having is under the Tags - > Container tab.  It will not let those tags be written to the resulting MP4.  I have not tried it with an MKV, but attached is the debug output from my last attempt.  It's not a big deal, I can live without it, but I thought it would be cool to add this to the container and have it show the DVD box instead of one of the first frames of the video.  The only "success" I had, gave an "exit 1" error and left the temporary file in place.  That was when I tested it to only put a cover art on the container tag and not trying to add the other tags.

If you have any thoughts on what I did wrong, it may not necessarily be a bug, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.
I see the problem!
Hybrid tages the muxing call and splits it into arguments in a wrong way.
-> Will look at it after work and report back.

Cu Selur
Send you a link to my current dev version which might already fix this.
If it doesn't please create another debug output of the job processing with that version.
Thanks.

Cu Selur
(11.08.2021, 15:49)Selur Wrote: Send you a link to my current dev version which might already fix this.
If it doesn't please create another debug output of the job processing with that version.
Thanks.

Cu Selur

Great, thanks! I'll let you know.