This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Resizing Question
I was hoping to downscale using one of the vapoursynth resizers under Vapoursynth->Frame->Resize, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I have the resize checkboxed checked under the Crop/Resize tab. How are they meant to work independently of the Crop/Resize options? There's no option to select a resize resolution if that checkbox is unchecked

Edit:
It seems it's only fmtconv spline 144 that does nothing and downscales using the crop/resize selection, but NNEDI3 with spline 144 selected as the downscaler results in the same resolution as the source, now I'm even more confused.
a. output resolution is always determined by "Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize" so unless the resolution here differs from the crop-resolution, the outpu resolution will be the same as the crop-resolution.
Resizers under "Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize" are mapped to FFmpeg/Avisynth/Vapoursynth base resizers.
b. "Vapoursynth->Frame->Resize"
  • NNEDI3: up-scaler only
  • fmtconv: bunch of up- and down-scalers ('Downsizer' sets the resizer for downscaling)
  • ResampleHQ: is an up- and down-scalers
  • Waifu2x: upscaler which can also do filtering
  • Waifu2x nvk: upscaler which can also do filtering
  • Anime4kCPP: up-scaler only ('Downsizer' sets the resizer for downscaling)
  • SRMD: up-scaler only ('Downsizer' sets the resizer for downscaling)
  • RealSR: up-scaler only ('Downsizer' sets the resizer for downscaling)
  • RealSR: bunch of up- and down-scalers, potenially filters which so no special resize
  • DPID: down-scaler only
  • DGDecNV Crop/Resize: up- and down-scaler only useful if DGDecNV is used as source filter, only fast nothing special
  • VASGAN: up-scale and filtering
Check the Vapoursynth script view to see how and when a resizer is used.

Cu Selur
Further testing confirms it, it just so happens that Spline 144 looks exactly like Lanczos. Thanks for clearing that up Smile
(05.08.2021, 05:35)Selur Wrote: a. output resolution is always determined by "Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize" so unless the resolution here differs from the crop-resolution, the outpu resolution will be the same as the crop-resolution.
Resizers under "Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize" are mapped to FFmpeg/Avisynth/Vapoursynth base resizers.
b. "Vapoursynth->Frame->Resize"
  • NNEDI3: up-scaler only
  • fmtconv: bunch of up- and down-scalers ('Downsizer' sets the resizer for downscaling)
  • ResampleHQ: is an up- and down-scalers
  • Waifu2x: upscaler which can also do filtering
  • Waifu2x nvk: upscaler which can also do filtering
  • Anime4kCPP:  up-scaler only ('Downsizer' sets the resizer for downscaling)
  • SRMD:  up-scaler only ('Downsizer' sets the resizer for downscaling)
  • RealSR:  up-scaler only ('Downsizer' sets the resizer for downscaling)
  • RealSR:  bunch of up- and down-scalers, potenially filters which so no special resize
  • DPID: down-scaler only
  • DGDecNV Crop/Resize: up- and down-scaler only useful if DGDecNV is used as source filter, only fast nothing special
  • VASGAN: up-scale and filtering
Check the Vapoursynth script view to see how and when a resizer is used.

Cu Selur

While I'm already on the topic of downsampling, would you consider adding SSIM downsampling to the list of resizers? It comes as part of muvsfunc so it's already in hybrid. It's a perceptually based downsampler like DPID, but better in my opinion. Here's the paper about it, it's fairly easy reading for something like this and has lots of examples of it.

https://cgl.ethz.ch/Downloads/Publicatio...Ozt15b.pdf
First impression is that it is unneccessary slow since it only offers support for normal nnedi3 and not znedi3 and/or nnedi3cl.
I'll look at it over the weekend.

Cu Selur

Ps.: created an issue entry about it over at https://github.com/WolframRhodium/muvsfunc/issues/31
Nice, WolframRhodium added a way to use a different NNEDI3. Smile

Cu Selur
Sadly it doesn't work. :/
Okay, my mistake I assumed that SSIM_downscale war using nnedi3 since it was using nnedi3_resample, but it doesn't.

Cu Selur
Created a dev version which supports SSIM_downscale (it's called 'SSIMD' in Hybrid).
Send you a link via pm.

Cu Selur
(06.08.2021, 19:55)Selur Wrote: Created a dev version which supports SSIM_downscale (it's called 'SSIMD' in Hybrid).
Send you a link via pm.

Cu Selur

Thanks for the addition, you sure work fast.  Big Grin   I tried using it but it stops regardless of video codec when I attempt to start it, failing at the encode stop. For some it crashes, some it says "finished", others abort. looking at the log it looks like it's another case of files not being found. Debug log attached.