This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Vapoursynth: support for VSGAN through an 'addon' (Windows only)
Hello Selur!

In the changelog of Hybrid version 2021.07.17.1 there is written that: VSGAN is supported through an 'addon' (Windows only). It is not clear how to download and/or activate this addon.
Only way to get the addOn is by asking me about it since it's quite large and thus not available as a normal download to not bring down the website.

Cu Selur
As additional info about the addon:
You need to extract it into your Hybrid/64bit folder where it:
  • overwrites the Vapoursynth folder
  • creates a vsgan_models folder
to use VSGAN, you need to:
  • enable resizing (Crop/Resize->Base->Resize)
  • enable Vapoursynth resizing (Filtering->Frame->Resize->Resizer)
  • select VSGAN (set "Filtering->Frame->Resize->Resizer" to "VSGAN")
  • select a model (set "Filtering->Frame->Resize->Resizer->VSGAN->Model")
All model names start with 'Xx' where 'X' is the scale factor of the model.
So a model with '3x' will resize with and height by 3.
Hybrid does compensate this resize to the selected output resolution (Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Resize->Target resolution) by using the selected resizer ("Filtering->Frame->Resize->Resizer->VSGAN->Resizer).

Cu Selur

Ps.: As a reminger VSGAN only works with NVIDIA cards.
Hello Selur,

Inside the folder vsgan_models there are a lot of trained models. I guess that the best model to be used for up-scale is 4x_ESRGAN.pth, but there are other interesting models like 1x_ColorizerV2_22000G.pth is this model able to colorize BW images ? do you have a short explanation for the VSGAN models ?
Quote:I guess that the best model to be used for up-scale is 4x_ESRGAN.pth
Probably depends on the source content, haven't really done much upscaling since I usually prefer nnedi3 for general purpose upscaling. Smile

Quote:1x_ColorizerV2_22000G.pth is this model able to colorize BW images ?
that's it purpose, but I haven't really tested it.
Quote:do you have a short explanation for the VSGAN models ?
The model are all from https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Model_Database there are some short infos about some of them there.

Cu Selur
So VSGAN Windows only?
Here is side by side test NNEDI3 with CAS 0.8 applied after resize vs VSGAN. VSGAN examples taken from this thread https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p...ost1954142
Not sure how things will look in motion and how will film grain structure look with that filter, but still frames looks really great. It looks like new redrawn animation.
[Image: k4CfIaK.jpg]
Quote:So VSGAN Windows only?
You read the thread title, correct?

in Hybrid: yes (unless you install it yourself and use it through a custom section)
In general: no
It requires: Python and an NVIDIA card, problem is that since I run MacOS in a VM I wouldn't be able to test it at all so I do not play to adjust Hybrid to support it on MacOS for the time be.
As a side note, there are tons of ways and filters to cleanup animes,...
Anime4K:
[Image: Anime4k-CPP.png]
Waifu2x:
[Image: Waifu.png]
RealESRGAN:
[Image: Real-ESRGAN.png]
NNEDI3 + warpsharp (if you like thinner lines) + toon:
[Image: NNEDI3-awarpsharp-toon.png]
Also note that the effect of VSGAN depends on the model you use in it, so just saying VSGAN was used is useless without knowing the model used. Wink

Cu Selur
(07.08.2021, 09:28)Selur Wrote: Only way to get the addOn is by asking me about it since it's quite large and thus not available as a normal download to not bring down the website.

Cu Selur

True words - I have tried the first and then the second version of your guide.

( Referring: Why VSGAN is not supported #2 )
The second one ends up with errors in vsviewer.exe script testing. Also I get no options for VSGAN under the resize tab in hybrid. You create a special dev version where it works?

( Referring: Why VSGAN is not supported #1 )
The first one works in the vsviewer.exe but I have no idea how to use it with the great Hybrid App.
Also it seems there is a conflict between the python packages. It is not possible to use torch 1.8.1 with the rest. I figured it out with the 1.9.1

Maybe you can explain the missing additional steps? I've tested tools like Hybrid the whole weekend and Hybrid is the best solution. It would be great to can test out the vsgan stuff + models too.

Thanks =)

Edit: funny thing, I saw it and thought it was an automatic post/reply translation from this board.  Angel sorry
1. clean up your post
2. I have no clue what guide you are refering to.

Cu Selur
Sorry was my fault - hope it is clearly now