This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Crashed with exit status 1
Hello,
My encodes keep crashing for no apparent reason after some time, if the input is long enough it has a high change of crashing midway or at the end of the process.

Version 2021.11.25.1
Quote:My encodes keep crashing for no apparent reason after some time ...
that ususally isn't Hybrids fault,.. Wink

Quote:.. the input is long enough it has a high change of crashing midway or at the end of the process.
Okay, since the encoding starts and is running for 1000frames it doesn't seem to be an issue with the calls itself.
If it's a decoding issue, the encoding of the same source should always crash at the same place. Also according to the debug output it's the encoding that suddenly crashed (not the decoding).

My guess atm. is that it's one of these causes:
  • system is overclocked
  • system has some heat issues (that cause memory corruption or similar)
  • some tool (antivirus suite or similar) is interfering with the encoding itself or the communication between the encoder and the decoder or the file access.
  • system is running out of RAM (not sure whether vpxenc would give a more meaningful error message when running out of ram)
  • there is a bug in vpxenc which is triggered somehow
  • there is a problem with the vpxenc compilation
->
  • Is your system overclocked? (RAM, CPU, FSB,.. ?) In case it is try going back to the non-overclocked values.
  • Can you reproduce the issue with the same source? If you use the same source and run the encoding twice does it crash at the same position?
  • What are the temperatures of your cpu? system? ram?
  • Have you tried disabling some any antivirus solution&co ? (on my encoding rig only the default windows defender is running wiht exceptions for all my input, output and Hybrid folders)

Cu Selur

Ps.: As a side note: When going from 4k to SD using DPID as resizer can help to retail some more of the details and constrast.
[*]Is your system overclocked?
I'm only using a mild PBO2 + Curve Optimizer setting.

[*]Can you reproduce the issue with the same source? If you use the same source and run the encoding twice does it crash at the same position?
It did crash twice, but at difference positions, on the first try it crashed halfway.

[*]What are the temperatures of your CPU? system? RAM?
My overall system is pretty chill, my CPU never goes past 80C (Since that's the default temp limit) and when encoding using all it's 24 threads (i.e x26X) it sits at ~73C.
I'm using a DeepCool Assassin III inside a Lian Li Lancool 215 with two 140mm Fans at the top, so the airflow is big enough to also cool the RAM sticks.

[*]Have you tried disabling some any antivirus solution&co?
Also no, but I did not have any issue using FFmpeg instead. (But I prefer Hybrid because it has Bicubic Spline scaling and VPXEnc)

If it's of any help, I can try something like x264 ultrafast to check if it's going to crash.
Quote:I'm only using a mild PBO2 + Curve Optimizer setting.
I would recommend trying to see whether the issue is still there is no overclocking is done at all, to be sure that it's not the cause of the issue.

Quote:It did crash twice, but at difference positions, on the first try it crashed halfway.
Which makes it less likely to be a software issue.

Quote:Also no, but I did not have any issue using FFmpeg instead.
Then only one tool is used, but some av solutions&co get paranoid if programs communicate with others. (Decoder piping output to the encoder.)
So that it's working with tool xy doesn't really say anything.

Quote:If it's of any help, I can try something like x264 ultrafast to check if it's going to crash.
It could only help you not me, since this is no bug in Hybrid itself and nothing I can reproduce here.

Cu Selur
I've disabled PBO and Curve Optimizer and it crashed at the very beginning of the 2nd pass encoding. I'll test it out with the AV disabled.
Other than trying whether you can see any additional error messages when calling the 2nd pass call:
"C:\Program Files\Hybrid\64bit\ffmpeg.exe" -y -noautorotate -nostdin -threads 8 -i "D:\Movies\Venom Let There Be Carnage [4K]\Venom Let There Be Carnage (2021).mkv" -map 0:0 -an -sn -vf crop=3840:2076:0:42,scale=680:368,zscale=rangein=tv:range=tv -pix_fmt yuv420p -vsync 0  -sws_flags spline -f yuv4mpegpipe - | "C:\Program Files\Hybrid\64bit\vpxenc.exe" --codec=vp9 --row-mt=1 --passes=2 --pass=2 --target-bitrate=55 --end-usage=vbr --fpf="C:\Users\VPC\AppData\Local\Temp\venom_2021-11-27@23_37_49_6710_01.stats" --profile=0 --good --corpus-complexity=0 --cpu-used=1 --min-q=0 --max-q=63 --bias-pct=70 --minsection-pct=15 --maxsection-pct=10000 --lag-in-frames=25 --drop-frame=0 --undershoot-pct=0 --buf-sz=6 --buf-initial-sz=4 --buf-optimal-sz=5 --drop-frame=0 --resize-allowed=1 --resize-up=100 --resize-down=100 --kf-min-dist=0 --kf-max-dist=250 --auto-alt-ref=6 --arnr-maxframes=15 --arnr-strength=3 --noise-sensitivity=0 --sharpness=0 --static-thresh=0 --aq-mode=1 --tile-columns=0 --tile-rows=0 --min-gf-interval=0 --max-gf-interval=0 --threads=48 --width=680 --height=368 --i420 --color-space=bt709 --target-level=255 --input-bit-depth=8 --bit-depth=8 --arnr-type=3 --ivf -o "C:\Users\VPC\AppData\Local\Temp\2021-11-27@23_37_49_6710_02.ivf" -
I have no clue why vpxenc is having problems on your system.

Cu Selur