This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] (un)Sharp filter
I can't seem to find the (un)Sharp AVIsynth filter - has it been re-named or dropped?

I'm trying this guide: How to Upscale Video Resolution in Hybrid CORRECTLY | Upscale Resolution Without Loss of Quality
Argh,... stupid guide mixing Avisynth and FFmpeg filters.
If you really want to do it that way, you can find the filter under Filtering->FFmpeg->Filtering->(Un)sharpen

Cu Selur
I'm now trying to do this on a Mac - but no AVIsynth.

What would I need to do in Vapoursynth to get a similar (or better) result?

It would be great to have some pinned guides for upscaling video from various sources.
It's also usually a bad idea to mix Vapoursynth and FFmpeg filters.

Quote:What would I need to do in Vapoursynth to get a similar (or better) result?
No clue, what filters with what setting make more sense always depends on the source.

Quote:It would be great to have some pinned guides for upscaling video from various sources.
If you fins someone with the time to write those guides for free I can look at them, give some feedback and link to them.

Cu Selur
Which are the FFmpeg filters?
Those under
  • Filtering->FFmpeg: are FFmpeg filters
  • Filtering->Avisynth: are Avisynth filters (only when Avisynth is present)
  • Filtering->Vapoursynth: are Vapoursynth filters (only when Vapoursynth is present)
in current versions.

Cu Selur
Is it possible to add Avisynth filter supoport on a Mac?

I guess if it was possible you would have done it Smile

Is Vapoursynth is the same thing?
No Avisynth and Vapoursynth are different things.
Vapoursynth is kind of a rewrite of Avisynth which is based on Python.

In theory it's possible to add Avisynth support.
Problem is native Avisynth++ on MacOS would be a real pain since most of the filters would have to be rewritten for it to be useful.
A few years ago I did support Avisynth through wine on MacOS and Windows, but at least on MacOS I totally dropped support for it since it was way to unstable to be usable.

-> either live with Vapoursynth (which I personally prefer) or use a Windows machine.

Cu Selur
(09.12.2021, 16:57)I Selur Wrote: Argh,... stupid guide mixing Avisynth and FFmpeg filters.
If you really want to do it that way, you can find the filter under Filtering->FFmpeg->Filtering->(Un)sharpen

Cu Selur

What exactly is wrong with mixing AviSynth/VapourSynth filters and FFMpeg filters? You appear to be the only one who explains that, looking across several other forums. Obviously, mixing say, AWarpSharp in AviSynth with FFMpeg sharpening is bad, but that’s not what that video guide is instructing.
What they are doing is mixing EdgeCleaner, DeRinging und FFmpegs (un-)Sharpen.
I think mixing FFmpeg with Avisynth/Vapoursynth filters is in general bad and often stupid:
a. it easily can cause color issues
b. you easily loose control about the bit depth&co you work in (at least last I checked figuring out what color formats FFmpeg really is using is a real pain. Also controling how rgb<>yuv conversions are also rather complicated to control.

If you use Avisynth, instead of using FFmpegs (Un-)Sharpen, one could use one of the Avisynth filters for unsharpening http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters through the custom addition.
If you use Vapoursynth there are also (un-)sharpen filters, see: https://vsdb.top/
Personally I'm no fan of unsharpen filters. (which is why in Hybrid only FFmpegs unsharpen filter is supported out of the box) Also unsharpen filters often have problems with noise content.

Cu Selur