This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] perf. RTX 3060 ti slower than GTX 1070 - NVEnc
Hello,
I bought an RTX 3060ti to replace my GTX 1070, and the RTX is slower than the GTX to encode with NVEnc with the same parameters:

GTX 1070: 39 fps with 1920 cuda core
RTX 3060ti: 21 fps with 4864 cuda core, because it uses the new dedicated Nvidia encoder and slows down performance.

In Hybrid, is it possible to force the "real" use of cuda cores with the RTX 3060ti ?

Thank you
NVEnc doesn't use the cuda cores for encoding (some filters might use them for filtering), but for en- and decoding a dedicated chip VPU is used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC

That said, it still seems strange that the RTX card is slower.
Assuming you did use the same source and settings:
a. Did you do a clean deinstall and reinstall of the drivers?
b. Did you try whether updating to the latest NVEncC version does help? (https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc/releases)

Cu Selur
I updated everything, drivers, hybrid and NVEnc.
I tested and it's the same
when i encode, the GTX uses 30% gpu and RTX uses 100% gpu
Without a debug output: no clue
I'm surprised the gpu usage is that high, normally only the vpu usage should be high not the gpu usage.

Cu Selur
I'm using a RTX 3060 and the enconding with Hybrid (NVEnc) is about twice faster than the encoding with my old GTX 1070.

These are the settings that I'm using

[Image: NVEnc-1.png]

[Image: NVEnc-2.png]

[Image: NVEnc-3.png]

[Image: NVEnc-4.png]

In this way Hybrid will use NVEnc for all the the video processing. Some time it could happen the the input video format is not compatible with NVEnc and in this case NVEnc will crash. To solve the problem it is just enough to uncheck the box NVEnc->Harwdare->Only use encoder and let Hybrid to use the external filters.

I hope that this help.

P.S.

Your reported speed is compatible with the use of Intel GPU. If you have an Intel CPU with a GPU embedded it is better to disable it (search google to how do it) since some of the filters used by Hybrid will use always the first GPU (GPU0) that in this case is the Intel GPU. To be sure that your RTX is the GPU0 you need to disable the Intel GPU.
Quote:Your reported speed is compatible with the use of Intel GPU. If you have an Intel CPU with a GPU embedded it is better to disable it (search google to how do it) since some of the filters used by Hybrid will use always the first GPU (GPU0) that in this case is the Intel GPU. To be sure that your RTX is the GPU0 you need to disable the Intel GPU.
NVEncC can't use an Intel GPU,...

Cu Selur
(06.01.2022, 12:45)Selur Wrote:
Quote:Your reported speed is compatible with the use of Intel GPU. If you have an Intel CPU with a GPU embedded it is better to disable it (search google to how do it) since some of the filters used by Hybrid will use always the first GPU (GPU0) that in this case is the Intel GPU. To be sure that your RTX is the GPU0 you need to disable the Intel GPU.
NVEncC can't use an Intel GPU,...

Cu Selur

Yes, I know but if are used some filters that uses the GPU this could happen. With my old GTX 1070 I was encoding at speed of 230 fps, now at about 450 fps, these figure are not comparable with the average 20-30 fps reported by "mimile".
Sure if you use 'some filters' anything can happen. Angel Tongue

Cu Selur
hello
this is my preset for encode video Ultra HD in high quality:

NVEnc --y4m -i - --fps 23.976 --codec h265 --profile main10 --level 5.1 --tier high --sar 1:1 --lookahead 32 --output-depth 10 --vbrhq 19769 --max-bitrate 10000 --gop-len 0 --ref 3 --bframes 0 --no-b-adapt --mv-precision Q-pel --preset quality --colorrange limited --colorprim bt2020 --transfer smpte2084 --colormatrix bt2020c --max-cll 1000,923 --master-display G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1) --cuda-schedule sync --keyfile GENERATED_KEY_FILE --output "D:\Temp\The.Prote test.265"

"Only use encoder" is uncheck.

My processor is intel xeon e5-2637 v3,... without iGPU.

In task manager when encode with RTX, use :
100% video encode
6 % cuda
2% 3D
0 % video processing

when encode with GTX, use :
39-46 % video encode
9% "copy 1"
1% 3D

[Image: xH12m9C]
[Image: ZHHd7Dd]
Quote:"Only use encoder" is uncheck.
Then you need to share the whole decoding chain, since the decoding isn't done by the gpu. So depending on your settings Avisynth, Vapoursynth and/or FFmpeg filtering might take place.

Quote:In task manager when encode with RTX, use :
100% video encode
6 % cuda
2% 3D
0 % video processing

when encode with GTX, use :
39-46 % video encode
9% "copy 1"
1% 3D

[Image: xH12m9C]
[Image: ZHHd7Dd]
No clue what that shoud indicate at all,...

Cu Selur