This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Processing captured VHS tapes
Maybe just cleaning the VCR would help, I have not much experience with capturing, but I know when I see something that was captured with something that is caused by hardware problems. (probably the vcr) Which is why I recommended to ask the folks over at videohelp.

Also if you want to filter the current capture, enabling "Filtering->Vapoursynth->DeGrain->Temporal Degrain" should help with most of the general flickering, even with default values.

Cu Selur
You have given me lots to play with here, thank you for that. I will explore these settings, do a little more reading, and I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions. It's fun learning about this stuff.
Before I test out the settings you've already given me, I would like to zero in on the settings for the Base tab and the X264 tab. For Base, I believe it is quite straight forward, and other than loading and saving the videos, for processing I will choose X264 for video and passthrough all for audio. For X264/Base, what would be the best settings under "General Settings", and the specifics under that? Also for "Profile and Presets". Anything else that shouldn't be left at default? I'm assuming that I would leave the other X254 tabs at the default settings. Thank you.
Sorry, no clue about best settings.

In general:
a. use the encoding method you need. 2pass if you want to archive a specific file size, 1pass crf otherwise (usually folks use crf values between 16 and 23 for normal content and 12 or lower for archiving purposes).
b. if you need better compression ration and are willing to spend extra time on it, select a preset you want and apply it.
If you want to seriously start tweaking x264 settings, you should start reading up on how H.264 works in general and what all the different settings do. The presets are there to provide a general good balance between speed&quality that normally works fine for all content.

About profiles&levels:
Profiles restrict the coding mechanism that are available for the compression
Levels restrict the data rate and amount of reference frames that are available for a given resolution and frame rate.
see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_V...g#Profiles and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_V...ing#Levels

Cu Selur
Thank you for this. I'm off to read!