This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Processing captured VHS tapes
I have captured VHS tapes with VirtualDub to create an AVI file with HuffYUV as the video codec and no audio compression (PCM), then trimmed the video with VirtualDub2 choosing direct stream copy for both audio and video.

Using Hybrid, my goal is to apply filters to improve the video and save it as an MP4 (H.264). As I have already used HuffYUV in the capture process, are any installations required to use Hybrid? I have used Hybrid enough to be able to create an MP4 file from my AVI, but would appreciate help in choosing the optimal settings, and which filters I should use and appropriate settings (de-interlace looking at screenshot of video). Thanks.[attachment=1747]
Quote:As I have already used HuffYUV in the capture process, are any installations required to use Hybrid?
By default Hybrid will use the libav HuffYUV decoder, so no additional decoder installation is required.
Also if your input is .avi and your got a 64bit vfw HuffYUV decoder, installed you can also enable Filtering->Vapoursynth->Source->Prefer AviSource for .avi input.

Looking at the screen shot I can not recommend anything. Interlacing without motion isn't interlacing. Wink
General suggestion regarding deinterlacing:
  • Assuming your content is properly flagged, using QTGMC is probably a good start for deinterlacing.
  • If your content is not properly flagged you neeed to overwrite the scan type to the correct scan type (bff or tff).
  • If you want to bob deinterlace, enable 'Bob' in the QTGMC settings. If you content jumps for and back you did choose the wrong field type.
  • If you feel that QTGMC is filtering the content to much preset 'Custom' and using different source matching, final temporal smoothing and lossless settings can help.

Cu Selur
"Also if your input is .avi and your got a 64bit vfw HuffYUV decoder, installed you can also enable Filtering->Vapoursynth->Source->Prefer AviSource for .avi input."
I lost you on the above, Filtering->Vapoursynth-> but then I'm lost, can't find the setting you are referring to.
Sorry, forgot a step. Smile
"Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->Source->Prefer AviSource for .avi input"

Cu Selur
Thanks, found it. From what I've read, I assume that Avisource is a codec that is superior to the built in libav HuffYUV decoder. Is that correct? Also, I assume I don't need to make any changes to the other default settings  on the page Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->Source, as they are irrelevant to my files. Correct?
Quote:From what I've read, I assume that Avisource is a codec that is superior to the built in libav HuffYUV decoder. Is that correct?
AviSource isn't a codec.
AviSource is a source filter which allows to use vfw decoders that are installed on a Windows system.
Whether those vfw decoders are better than their libav conterparts (assuming libav can decode the content too), totally depends on the vfw decoder.

Quote:Also, I assume I don't need to make any changes to the other default settings on the page Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->Source, as they are irrelevant to my files. Correct?
Correct. Assuming you got a 64bit vfw decoder in your system and Hybrid can use AviSource none of the other settings under "Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->Source" have any influence on the Vaporusynth script creation.

Cu Selur
Quote:AviSource isn't a codec.
AviSource is a source filter which allows to use vfw decoders that are installed on a Windows system.
Whether those vfw decoders are better than their libav conterparts (assuming libav can decode the content too), totally depends on the vfw decoder.

And in my case, the 64bit decoder in my system is HuffYUV, so enabling AviSource will allow the use of HuffYUV.

Quote:Looking at the screen shot I can not recommend anything. Interlacing without motion isn't interlacing. [Image: wink.png]

I tried to attach a short .avi sample of my thirty year old VHS tape capture so you can see what I'm dealing with, but was unable to do so.
Quote:And in my case, the 64bit decoder in my system is HuffYUV, so enabling AviSource will allow the use of HuffYUV.
Then it probably doesn't make a difference, but to be sure the content is handled like in VirtualDub you can use AviSource.

Quote:I tried to attach a short .avi sample of my thirty year old VHS tape capture so you can see what I'm dealing with, but was unable to do so.
I configured the board software to only allow small attachments.
(Had some issues with copyright claims and tranfser volume due to spammers a few years ago,..)
-> best upload your sample to googledrive or similar and send me a link via pm.

Cu Selur
Looked at the clip.
Since it's wrongly flagged, you should enable 'Filtering->(De-)Interlace/Telecine->Deinterlace/Telecine Settings->Overwrite input scan type to' and set it to 'top field first'.
Just for deinterlacing I would enable 'QTGMC Vapoursynth->Bob' and set 'QTGMC Vapoursynth->Preset' to 'Slower' and enable 'OpenCL'.

If you want to also try to cleanup the source a bit I would recommend to:
  • enable 'Filtering->Synth auto refresh'
  • enable 'Filtering->Filter view'
  • enable 'Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->Preview->Split View'
  • set 'Filtering->Vapoursynth->Misc->Preview->Split View->FilterView Placement' to 'interleaved'
and open the Vapoursynth Preview.
This way you can switch between unfiltered and filtered frames to easier see the difference.

Cu Selur

Ps.: Seeing the tons of problems the captured content has you might want to check out forum.videohelp.com there are a bunch of folks you probably can advice on better capture hardware. Do not misunderstand me there are tons of filters which can help to get the content more viewable, but the quality probably could be way better if the capture was better to start with. (I doubt you can for example get rid of the thick black halos through normal filtering.)
Thanks so much for all of this information. First, I think I need to make a decision regarding the capture equipment, what exactly this means. I am using an old VCR that I have which is still alive for the VHS tapes, my old Hitachi Camcorder also still alive, and purchased an Hauppauge USB-Live 2 to connect it to my laptop computer. Better capture equipment means replacing which units?