This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[BUG] Maintaining Interlace On Output
Additionally most older media usually are mod16 since (hardware) decoding was faster that way.

Cu Selur
Hi Selur,

thank you for this beautiful software.

I have encoded interlaced avi input (1440*1080) into h264/mp4. When deinterlacing is activated, no  problem. Output is progressive.

But when I want to encode as interlaced and chose Filter->deinterlacing “none” , I get the error message “ Aborting: Encoding is set for progressive output, but the input is not progressive…”

What do I overlook?

Best regards
Karl
Deactivation the automatic deinterlacing does not tell Hybrid to create interlaced output.
You would have to configure the encoder to output interlaced content.

Cu Selur
Thanks for the reply,

I notice that  in the deinterlace page, there is also an "interlace" option that needs to be activateted. But when the input is avi-Hufyuv, that option is grayed out and can't be activated. The same whem the input file is mpeg2 interlaced with Mpeg audio layer 1/2 (older sony tape camcorders)

When the input is avi-Lagarith, the option can be activated and the interlaced encoding is possible.
If your input is interlaced and is properly flagged, thus that Hybrid knows it is interlaced, you just need to set the encoder to encoder interlaced. Nothing more.
If your input is interlaced and not properly flagged, thus that Hybrid does not know it is interlaced, you need to properly overwrite the scan type to let Hybrid know. Then set the encoder to encoder interlaced.
The Interlaced option is only needed if your input is progressive, and you want Hybrid to interlace to a specific scan type "top field first" or "bottom field first".

Whether the output is interlaced !only! depends on the setting in the encoder.

Cu Selur
Hi Selur,

I did some further tests and now better understand the problem. My previous message has to be corrected.
The source material is 1440*1080, interlaced, top field first.

Regardless in which form I present the source material –either as mp2, avi-lagarith or avi-huffyuff, Hybrid detects it wrongly as bottom field first.

In the Interlace filter
1) I can modify the field order, then the interlace option is deactivated
or  
2) I can activate the interlace option but than the field order option gets deactivated, resulting in a wrong field order

When I then select “none” in the deinterlacer pull down window, in case 1) Hybrid produces the mentioned error message when I try to encode. In case 2) the encoding is in the wrong field order – unusable.

Best
Karl
You either did not read what I wrote or ignored it. Angry
If your source is detected with the wrong scan type (probably because it isn't properly flagged) you should overwrite the scan type.
('Filtering->(De-)Interlace/Telecine->Deinterlace/Telecine Setitngs->Overwrite input scan type to')

Cu Selur
Hi Selur,

that's what I did and have described.  It results in the mentioned error message when i try to encode.

Best
Karl
Read the sticky, provide a step-by-step and a debug output.
Currently, I can't reproduce what I suspect that you are doing to get that error.
I don't even know what OS you are on or whether you are using the latest version.
(side note: if you are on MacOS it might be a long-fixed bug that was fixed for Windows&Linux)
=> going to bed now, if you can proper details that allow to reproduce the problem I can look into it tomorrow evening after I get home from work.
I got no problem converting interlaced to interlaced content.

Cu Selur
Selur,

thank you for your time,
OS; Win 10,
Hybrid: 2023.03.17.1

I’ve just described an issue: When, in Filter-> deinterlace, I select  “top field first” and select  in “Auto deinterlace handling” a deinterlacer, hybrid encodes to the stuff. No error message. Except when I select “none”, then I get the mentioned error message.

Best regards

Karl