This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Filter Order
Is the order of filters applied in the order I select the filters, or is it set within the application itself? How important is the filter order when de-interlacing and upscaling etc? When should I change the filter order?
Quote:Is the order of filters applied in the order I select the filters, or is it set within the application itself?
The order in select stuff does not matter.
Hybrid does use a 'default filter order', but you can can change the filter order of both Vapoursynth and Avisynth filters. There you can also see the default order Hybrid uses.

Quote:How important is the filter order when de-interlacing and upscaling etc?
Filter order gets more and more important the more filters you add.
Note that for Vapoursynth you can even add most of the filters more than once with different settings (filter settings, or on regions etc.)
The default filter order is a good start, usually I would recommend to deinterlace as one of the first filters.
Whether upscaling should be done before or after other filters strongly depends a lot on the source and the used filters.

Quote:When should I change the filter order?
Whenever you think it makes sense for the source.
Most of the filters can make sense before or after another filter.
DeNoising, DeHalo,... for example can make sense before and/or after sharpening depending on the source.
In general, the default filter order is okay and should be considered a good starting point.
Normally you would use a deblocker, before applying other filters, assuming the blocking was introduced through the last compression of the source. Sometimes you want to remove blocking that was already in the source that before its last recompression, during which the source was also resized. In such a case, deblocking after resizing might make sense too.
The more you understand what a specific filter does, the better you can decide where it should be placed.
-> Probably any filter combination can make sense depending on the source and what you aim for.

Cu Selur
I'm currently working mainly with DV captures from VHS tapes. (via S-VHS / TBC)

I'm trying to use as few filters as possible. I'm not sure if the filter order would result in better upscales?

My settings for PAL VHS:

Output: ProRes 422HQ
Square Pixels / Crop to 1440 x 1080 / Letterbox to 1920 x 1080
QTGMC / Fast / Bob / sRestore to 25.000
DeGrain - MLDeGrain 1
DeNoise - HQDN3D
HQDering
Sharpen - CAS
Resize: NNEDI3
Quote:I'm not sure if the filter order would result in better upscales?
It's easy to check by changing the filter order and looking at the preview. Smile
Personally I would check whether moving CAS after the resizer or moving the denoise before the degrain filter helps, but in general the default filter order should be fine. Note that if you move filters behind an upscaling filter, you might need to adjust the settings of the filter (+ filters will be slower since they work on a larger image).

Cu Selur