This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

MKV Cutter forcing subtitles?
First, MKV Cutter is just the thing I was looking for, and it works great.

Except.

I have an mkv (x264) with a subtitle track. The track is not forced, i.e., it does not appear when playing the track normally in VLC.

After MKV Cutter, the subtitle track becomes forced and appears when playing the track in VLC.

Help?
As quick solution, you can simply open the file with mkvtoonix-gui, open the header editor and your file and change the 'force display' flag.
Haven't looked at the source code of MKV Cutter for quite some time, but I checked and MKV Cutter, does not set a flag that a subtitle file should be a default or forced track:
// SUBTITLE FILES
  foreach(QString file, subtitleFiles)
  {
    options << "--no-video";
    options << "--no-audio";
    options << "--no-global-tags";
    options << "--no-chapters";
    options << "--no-track-tags";
    options << "--subtitle-tracks";
    options << "0";
    lang = file;
    index = lang.lastIndexOf("_track_");
    if (index != -1) {
      lang = lang.remove(0, index + 7);
      lang = lang.remove(lang.lastIndexOf("."), lang.size()).trimmed();
      index = lang.toInt();
      lang = subtitles.at(index).language;
      if (lang != QString()) {
        options << "--language";
        options << "0:" + lang;
      }
    }
    options << "--compression";
    options << "-1:none";
    options << doubleBackSlash(file);
  }
MKV Cutter doesn't even check whether a stream is flagged as forced or not. Smile
Since I wrote MKV Cutter just as a proof of concept years ago, I don't really have any plan to change it in the near future.
So, the quickest option is to use the mkvtoolnix header editor.

Cu Selur

Ps.: Happy that MKV Cutter is still useful to some users out there. Smile
Thanks for the response! mkvtoolnix actually shows the subtitle track as unforced, so I have no idea what's going on. The subtitle displays automatically on an external media player as well, but not with the original file. Very bizarre.

At any rate, thank you for the wonderful tool. I'll keep poking around to try and figure it out.