This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[BUG] Interlaced files encoded lossless, muxed with mencoder in AVI, are 10% shorter
The result of my tests with the second developer version is the same with the first developer version:
-mc 0 -noskip didn't fix the audio problem, maybe is a different command in the mencoder specification, or is a mencoder bug from MPlayer.
I checked this time with the option 1) (FFV1 without deinterlacing) and with the options 2) (FFV1 and UT Video, with QTGMC deinterlacing to 50p and 25p).
Something I forgave in the first post:
- muxing with ffmpeg to AVI, MediaInfo shows correctly the info for audio (1 minute audio, that is the same as in the original M2TS file): AC3, Bit rate: 256 kb/s, Stream size: 1.83 MiB
- muxing with mencoder to AVI, MediaInfo shows strange info for audio: AC3, Bit rate 262 Mb/s, 1.83 GiB ... Mb/s instead of kb/s, GiB instead of MiB.
If the bug is a mencoder/MPlayer bug, for Hybrid ffmpeg can be used as default instead of mencoder for muxing to AVI.
The step/state "creating avi file with ffmpeg" was 2-3 times faster than the step/state "creating avi file with mencoder" in a 1 minute video remux to AVI (with "Default temp path" on the same hard disk for this quick test), but 1 hour video and "Default temp path" on a different hard disk will show better if ffmpeg remux faster than mencoder.
If other developer versions will be made with possible fixes for this (mencoder audio) bug, I'll test them.
The mencoder isn't slower here when muxing.
But if you use them the first time after installing Hybrid, mencoder&mplayer will start up slower, since they search for local fontcache. (this should only happen on the first call)

=> will look into it some more.

Cu Selur
Think I found the culprit.
Mencoder by default doesn't save stream interleaved in avi container, no clue why they are doing this. Huh
Using '-of lavf' instead, of '-of avi', causes mencoder to use the lav muxer which interleaves the streams, which seems to fix the problem.
-> will send you a new link in a few minutes.

Cu Selur
I repeated the test now, the 1 minute interlaced video where I looked for speed was encoded lossless with UT Video, size of 1.50 GB, I'll check also for the entire 1 hour encoded lossless video, 133 GB with FFV1 (or more GB with UT Video).

Hybrid shows these results (also the progress bar was much slower with mencoder than ffmpeg), but probably that mencoder is slower than ffmpeg only when this bug occurs (interlaced AVC files encoded with lossless video codecs muxed in AVI)
- Test 1:
ID: 08_muxing "creating avi file with ffmpeg": Start Time: 17:01:26 End Time: 17:02:00
=> 34 seconds for ffmpeg
ID: 08_muxing "creating avi file with mencoder": Start Time: 17:06:10 End Time: 17:07:51
=> 101 seconds for mencoder
"creating avi file with ffmpeg" at 34 seconds, was 2.97 times faster than "creating avi file with mencoder" at 101 seconds.
- Test 2:
ID: 08_muxing "creating avi file with ffmpeg": Start Time: 18:42:59 End Time: 18:43:16
=> 17 seconds for ffmpeg
ID: 08_muxing "creating avi file with mencoder": Start Time: 18:37:16 End Time: 18:38:35
=> 79 seconds for mencoder
"creating avi file with ffmpeg" at 17 seconds, was 4.64 times faster than "creating avi file with mencoder" at 79 seconds.
Maybe mencoder is slowed down when this bug occurs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Send you a new link to a dev version for testing. Smile

Cu Selur
The test result (with the 1 minute AVC interlaced video encoded with lossless video codecs) using the third developer version:
- in VLC, the sound can be heard only in the first 16 seconds, and in the last 44 seconds the sound cannot be heard.
- in Premiere Pro, the timeline shows that it is sound in the first 33 seconds (but only loud noise can be heard, like in my first post), and in the last 26 seconds the sound (or the loud noise) cannot be heard.
- MediaInfo now shows corectly: Bit rate 256 kb/s, but the "Stream size" is only: 514 KiB (instead of 1.83 MiB with ffmpeg), because the sound appears only in the first seconds
- mencoder is very fast in this version (probably as fast as ffmpeg)
Yeah, speed should be the same as they both use the same muxer.
Strange that parts of the audio are missing for you, worked fine with the samples I used here.
-> I'll create a version which drops the '-mc 0' and '-noskip' and just uses '-of lavf', as I suspect that those cause the issue.

Cu Selur
Send you a link to an updated Hybrid.exe

Cu Selur
The test result (using Hybrid.exe replacing the file with the same name from the latest developer version):
- "creating avi with mencoder" hangs for 2 seconds at 90.06% (then it continues with the next step, instead to reach 100%), a sign for skipped frames.
- shorter duration, 54 seconds
- the sound can be heard only in the first 16 seconds
- the debug file shows:
first many lines like this:
[avi @ 00007ff656a8f280]Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1: 1 >= 1
Error while writing frame.
[avi @ 00007ff656a8f280]Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1: 1 >= 1
Error while writing frame.
then, "Skipping frame" but these appear randomly, not 1 every 10 frames like in my first post.
If it is helpful, I can send a link with the 1 minute interlaced sample (AVC+AC3,M2TS).
Yes, a small sample which allows reproducing the issue would probably help. (test with the sample before you share it)

Cu Selur