This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Cannot use VS denoise script with Kvazaar
Hi,

I make some testing for denoising and have pretty good results using temporalDegrain2 with SVT-HEVC.
I wanted to give a shot to kvazaar as encoder and got weird results :

- Encoding using kvazaar without VS script give normal result
- Using TDG2 with kvazaar (10 bit) i got a totally green video all the length
- Using TDG2 with kvazaar (8 bit) i got a weird (but fun) result, picture is continuously scrolling from left to right and colors are totally messed.

Same settings in VS script give normal results with SVT-HEVC.

Not a big deal, but just wanted you to know.

By the way, I know each video source is different but what would your denoiser filter of choice for medium grained video (like say many movies from 50->90s) ? The first you would try ?

Thanks,
For grain, I usually try: MCDegrainSharp>SMDegrain>TemporalDegrain>TemporalDegrain2 and then the rest, depending on the source.
Will try to look at kvazaar-issue this evening, but not sure whether I'll make it.

Cu Selur
Thanks in advance, those are already my favourites filters, your answer confort my choices Smile
I try TemporalDegrain2 at the moment as I find it is a very good denoiser and sometimes is better on motion than MCDegrainSharp ou SMDegrain. Downside is that it denoise a lot, even at minimal setting.

About kvazaar, another thing is that there is no progress indicator in job tab, but despite it seems very good, I probably won't use too much this encoder as it is pretty slow.
Send you a link to a dev version (via pm) which hopefully fixes the kvazaar issues.

Cu Selur
Problem solved with dev version, thanks !
The progression display is also really appreciated  Smile

I tried with the latest build of kvazaar (2.2.0) just to let you know : 
It works flawlessly in 8 bit but crashes on 10bit encoding, whether I use a VS filter or not.

I hope the next Hybrid build will embed the new version as it seems that the speed and efficiency have been improved a lot Smile

- encoding a 1mn video (263 MB) at default settings / 8 bit took 2.15mn for a 20MB size with current Hybrid's Kvazaar
- encoding the same video at same settings using 2.2.0 version of kavazaar took 48s for a 18MB size

This is a huge improvement, considering that the encoder quality is also pretty good.

I will do some testing with VMAF check to see how it compares with other x265 encoders, but it is promising for x265 encoding.
I'll look at the latest kvazaar.

Cu Selur
I just tried encoding 10bit and Hybrid used:
ffmpeg -y -loglevel fatal -noautorotate -nostdin -threads 8 -i "G:\TestClips&Co\files\10bit Test.mkv" -map 0:0 -an -sn -vf zscale=rangein=tv:range=tv -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -strict -1 -vsync 0 -f yuv4mpegpipe - | kvazaar --preset medium  -i - --input-res 640x352 --input-fps 25/1 --input-format P420 --input-file-format y4m --input-bitdepth 10 --level 4.1 --high-tier --qp 22 --ref 3 --subme 0 --sar 1:1 --range pc --colorprim undef --transfer undef --colormatrix bt470bg -o "J:\tmp\10bit Test_2023-02-10@13_55_22_2410_01.265"
for the encoding no crash here.
Hybrid (2023.02.09.1) used kvazaar: 2.2.0-1-gfa2b4e0b 2023-01-10

=> can you share a debug output of the crash with 10bit?

Cu Selur
I just tried with 2 diferents videos but still no luck.
Here is a debug output if you want to see what happen.

Sadly, the quality image test I ran against old and new version of kvazaar shows a huge drop of quality for the same settings, so there is no miracle here.
Using preset medium: --rd=0 --pu-depth-intra=1-4 --pu-depth-inter=0-3 --me=hexbs --gop=16 --ref=4 --bipred=1 --deblock=0:0 --signhide=0 --subme=4
--sao=full --rdoq=1 --rdoq-skip=0 --transform-skip=0 --mv-rdo=0 --full-intra-search=0 --smp=0 --amp=0 --cu-split-termination=zero --me-early-termination=on --intra-rdo-et=0 --early-skip=1 --fast-residual-cost=0 --max-merge=5
input-bitdepth can't be set to larger than 8 because Kvazaar is compiled with KVZ_BIT_DEPTH=8.
the kvazaar version you used is not compiled with 10bit support.
The 2.2.0 version the dev version comes with is.

Cu Selur
Sorry, my bad. I took the latest on Github and couldn't think it wouldn't support 10bit...
Thanks for your help Smile