This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] How to install Vapoursynth/etc. in Ubuntu/Linux?
The Hybrid installer for Linux seems to lack these---I assume due to how the two OSes (Linux/Windows) utilize said tools and it isn't needed to package them?
But how do you use them, exactly? I did consult Google, which led me to:

http://www.vapoursynth.com/doc/installat...stallation

Ubuntu is a Debian-based distribution. So I followed those instructions (to install and fully update the deb-multimedia repository) and... nothing. No Vapoursynth in Hybrid still. Or any Xsynth, for that matter.

I wanted to try maining Linux for a few weeks to see how I like it but Hybrid workloads are very important for me and I can't seem to do much without Vapoursynth/Xsynth.
see:
https://github.com/Selur/hybrid-vapoursynth-addon
https://github.com/Selur/VapoursynthScriptsInHybrid

Cu Selur
I'm not sure where the second one goes but the first one seems to have incomplete instructions.
It mentions a "~/.profile" and "~/.bashrc" file that don't exist anywhere inside to modify?
Normally, those files should exist on Ubuntu systems. (Note that both are 'hidden' files.)
I found them and added those lines, but nothing seems to change? vspipe --version still doesn't return anything, and Hybrid still isn't recognizing that vapoursynth is installed (which makes sense if vspipe --version believes it isn't installed, either).
Sound like the environment variables are not correctly set.
Have you restarted the system and re-checked the paths?

Cu Selur
I have indeed restarted and the paths are valid. Are they supposed to go in a specific part of the .bashrc and .profile files? I assume just anywhere free and not being used by another operation given the lack of notice on where to put them (this is pretty standard for ROM hacking for video games, for instance, so I assume it's an open-source practice).
Created with chatGPT Smile
Quote:In Ubuntu and other Unix-like operating systems, the .bashrc and .profile files are used to customize the behavior and environment settings for the command-line interface (CLI) and shell sessions. These files are located in a user's home directory (~) and are executed when you start a new terminal session or log in to the system. Each of these files serves a specific purpose:
  • .bashrc:
    The .bashrc file is a script that is executed whenever you start a new interactive Bash shell session. It's typically used to set up user-specific environment variables, aliases, functions, and customizations that are relevant to the Bash shell. These settings make your shell experience more convenient and efficient.

For example, you might use the .bashrc file to define aliases for frequently used commands, set environment variables such as PATH, configure your prompt's appearance, and more.
  • .profile:
    The .profile file is also a script that is executed when you log in to the system, regardless of the shell you're using (not limited to just Bash). It's meant for more general environment setup that applies to all types of shell sessions.

Unlike .bashrc, which is specific to the Bash shell, .profile is used to set environment variables and perform initial setup that is not shell-dependent. This makes it suitable for configuration that needs to be set globally for all shell sessions.

Common use cases for the .profile file include setting the PATH variable to include directories where your custom scripts or programs are located, configuring language and locale settings, and initializing variables needed by various applications.
It's important to note that when you modify either the .bashrc or .profile file, the changes will only take effect for new shell sessions or login sessions. Existing sessions won't automatically apply the changes unless you explicitly reload the file or start a new session.

In summary, .bashrc is specific to the Bash shell and is used for customizing the behavior of Bash shell sessions, while .profile is more general and is executed upon login to set up environment variables and other system-wide settings for various shell types.

Both are basically used to make sure the environment is configured to find Vapoursynth, its plugins and scripts which Hybrid uses. Smile
Since there is no complete Vapoursynth package with plugins for Ubuntu, this is the best way I came up with.
(On Windows, Hybrid includes a portable Vapoursynth with all the plugins&co; I don't know enought about AppImages&co to know for sure whether this could also be possible for Linux.)

Cu Selur
I attempted to create an appimage.  Didn't work too well. I do have the guts of a flatpack laying around. I can look into fixing it up properly.

I currently use a heavily modified version of the installation scripts I rewrote for arch linux. I can always share those I guess