This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] QTGMC appears to not be deinterlacing footage (or not doing so correctly)
Hey folks,

I'm hoping you can help me determine why my footage did not de-interlace with QTGMC even though it was selected in the options (or why it deinterlaced incorrectly).  MediaInfo shows the output as "Progressive", so that seems to indicate it was deinterlaced, but stepping through the frames in VLC shows plenty of frames that are clearly a blending of two interlaced frames. I can de-interlace the footage during encoding in Handbrake, and on-the-fly in VLC in a manner that avoids the issue in the screenshot, so I don't think this is an issue with the source video.

Hybrid is new to me, so I could be missing something simple in the configuration, but hopefully there's enough information here to figure out what needs to be changed.  My goal is to de-interlace in the best quality possible and encode into lossless 480p content (which will be used as the source for an upscaling process later on).  If you need a little clip of the source footage, I can do a lossless cut with avidemux and upload it, but I've refrained from doing that for now so I don't waste server space.

Hybrid Version: 2023.03.17.1
Bug Reproduction Steps:
1) Load file (a 480i NTSC file ripped from a DVD source using MakeMKV)
2) Base Tab > Choose container of mkv
3) Base Tab > Choose passthrough all for audio
4) x264 Tab > Choose encoding mode of "constant quantizer (1-pass)
5) x264 Tab > Select AVC Profile/Level of "High4:4:4"
6) x264 Tab > Check the "Lossless" box
7) Filtering Tab > Ensure "QTGMC (Vapoursynth) is selected, and change preset to "Very Slow"
8) Return to Base Tab, set an output directory/file path, and click man-with-shovel to begin processing

Debug and an example frame of the output are attached.  Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hybrid has some workaround for MakeMKV inputs, but if MakeMKV changed anything these might not identify the source as MakeMKV created.
Would need a debug output of the analysis of the source to see what the source looks like.
From what I see in the debug output, Hybrid assumes the source is vfr and not interlaced and thus deinterlacing is not needed.

Cu Selur
Away from my PC at the moment, but I think it is variable framerate based on the Metadata I've seen.  As for the interlacing, MediaInfo actually doesn't even show the field that notes whether the content is interlaced or progressive for the source file, so I wonder if metadata is missing that Hybrid is expecting.

How do I produce the debug output of the source analysis?  I can include it as well.

Also, is there any way to force deinterlacing?
Forcing deinterlacing while the content is detected as interlaced would be a bad idea.
You would have to:
a. tell Hybrid to ignore the time codes
b. overwrite the scan type to whatever the content is (probably 'telecine (soft)')
or modify the script yourself.

The sticky describes how to create a debug output, I just need the debug output of you loading the source file.

Cu Selur
Hmm, maybe I loaded the file too soon in the previous debug.  If I'm misunderstanding and this isn't what you need, please correct me.  For this debug file I just set an output directory, turned on debug mode, loaded the file, then closed Hybrid.  Thanks for looking into this.
Yes, that debug output is what I need. Smile
Okay, I see where the issue is, MakeMKV changed the way it saved the streams.
Can you maybe extract just a small chapter with MakeMKV and share that clip with me?

Cu Selur
Send you a pm with a link to a dev version for testing.

Cu Selur
EDIT: I am downloading the dev version you sent me. If you download the file below and you know that the dev version you sent me won't solve the problem, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll try some testing today.

I looked into what you asked for in MakeMKV, but I think it can only extract entire files, not parts of files.
I also tried doing a lossless cut with avidemux, but when I dragged the resulting file into mediainfo, the metadata looked totally different, so I'm not sure it'd get us what we need.

So, I've uploaded the entire episode (718MB) to MegaUpload.  Would you be willing to download it?  Please let me know once you have it so I can remove the file from cloud storage.
URL: https://mega.nz/file/uRhxHJBa#PwBW93nIaL...HF6gMBBZvQ

Thank you!
Got the file, will do some tests with it, maybe the dev version, I send you a link too already fixed the problem.
=> no it does not, will look into it an report back when I came up with a working workaround.

Cu Selur