This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Change the Default Sharpening Value of CAS from 0.6 when using stepped resize
Question 
I'd like to change the sharpening value of CAS from 0.6 to 0.4 in the 2 Step fmtconv resizer from Vapoursynth tab

Hybrid generated vapoursynth configuration :

# Step 1: current: 3840x1608, target: 2324x1212
clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, kernel="spline36", w=2324, h=1212, interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)
# sharpening stepped resize using CAS
# contrast sharpening using CAS
clip = core.cas.CAS(clip=clip, sharpness=0.6)
# Step 2: current: 2324x1212, target: 1920x804
clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, kernel="spline36", w=1920, h=804, interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)

Thanks !Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.
This atm. is not supported in Hybrid.
I'll look into how complicated / how much code changes would be needed to change this.
Cu Selur
Thanks ! It would be a useful feature indeed.... 0.6 is selected because results look closer to the source ?
No, 0.6 is selected since that is usually my start value if I use CAS. Smile

Cu Selur
Send you a link, via pm, to a dev version which adds "CAS(sharpness=X)" and "aWarpSharp2(depth=X) as options.

Cu Selur
So nice of you to include the options in developer build . Will try this one asap.

Downscaling from a grainy 4k to 1080p using spline introduced obvious loss in sharpness a bit. I tried compensating it with CAS=0.6. The results were good but also over sharpened when compared to the source.  Single step downscaling with CAS as a filter did not produce the desired results.

This developer build will definitely help. Thanks !
You might also want to try DPID as resizer when downscaling.

Cu Selur
Thanks for the developer build. it works as intended. SAR is now set by default as 1:1. That was the only other difference i could find from previous builds.

Thanks for suggesting DPID downscaler. did some tests and it seems to pull more details than spline, even at default lambda 1.0

I think now it just comes down to personal preference between Spline+CAS and DPID. But DPID easily beats the Spline + CAS in transparency
Happy that helped. Smile

Cu Selur
Have been playing with DPID for a while. It is the best downscaler so far to reproduce the original sharpness. However, i am seeing vertical line like blocking artifacts  (like threads) in grainy content. any x265 tips to avoid it while keeping deblock at -3,-3 ?