Selur's Little Message Board

Full Version: Change the Default Sharpening Value of CAS from 0.6 when using stepped resize
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like to change the sharpening value of CAS from 0.6 to 0.4 in the 2 Step fmtconv resizer from Vapoursynth tab

Hybrid generated vapoursynth configuration :

# Step 1: current: 3840x1608, target: 2324x1212
clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, kernel="spline36", w=2324, h=1212, interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)
# sharpening stepped resize using CAS
# contrast sharpening using CAS
clip = core.cas.CAS(clip=clip, sharpness=0.6)
# Step 2: current: 2324x1212, target: 1920x804
clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, kernel="spline36", w=1920, h=804, interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)

Thanks !Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.
This atm. is not supported in Hybrid.
I'll look into how complicated / how much code changes would be needed to change this.
Cu Selur
Thanks ! It would be a useful feature indeed.... 0.6 is selected because results look closer to the source ?
No, 0.6 is selected since that is usually my start value if I use CAS. Smile

Cu Selur
Send you a link, via pm, to a dev version which adds "CAS(sharpness=X)" and "aWarpSharp2(depth=X) as options.

Cu Selur
So nice of you to include the options in developer build . Will try this one asap.

Downscaling from a grainy 4k to 1080p using spline introduced obvious loss in sharpness a bit. I tried compensating it with CAS=0.6. The results were good but also over sharpened when compared to the source.  Single step downscaling with CAS as a filter did not produce the desired results.

This developer build will definitely help. Thanks !
You might also want to try DPID as resizer when downscaling.

Cu Selur
Thanks for the developer build. it works as intended. SAR is now set by default as 1:1. That was the only other difference i could find from previous builds.

Thanks for suggesting DPID downscaler. did some tests and it seems to pull more details than spline, even at default lambda 1.0

I think now it just comes down to personal preference between Spline+CAS and DPID. But DPID easily beats the Spline + CAS in transparency
Happy that helped. Smile

Cu Selur
Have been playing with DPID for a while. It is the best downscaler so far to reproduce the original sharpness. However, i am seeing vertical line like blocking artifacts  (like threads) in grainy content. any x265 tips to avoid it while keeping deblock at -3,-3 ?
Pages: 1 2