This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

X264 settings !
hellu,

Is there a setting/way to keep a certain few selected x264 predefined settings, after changing x264 profile (slow → faster / vice versa) in hybrid ?
Seems like for instance , settings such as "max reference frames" are changed to either too low or tOO high (not bd complaint) as soon i change the x264 profile !

And therefor can result in a bad output file, by wich it can cause severe playback problems on strict hw players, like frame stutter (decode bottleneck!) 

Although, less likely that happend because the AVC level stay's fortunately the same after changing the profiles.. And the AVC level may be most important key in bd complaince..
Yet, my goal is to keep the reference level as high as possible regardless of wich profile i choose, hence my faq.

Played with some misc settings , but none seems to prevent that .. and i tend to forget that lil yet important setting / detail !

Ta Ta,
TD
Quote:Is there a setting/way to keep a certain few selected x264 predefined settings, after changing x264 profile (slow → faster / vice versa) in hybrid ?
No, all settings covered by a preset will be applied to the command line.
--preset <string>       Use a preset to select encoding settings [medium]
                                  Overridden by user settings.
                                  - ultrafast:
                                    --no-8x8dct --aq-mode 0 --b-adapt 0
                                    --bframes 0 --no-cabac --no-deblock
                                    --no-mbtree --me dia --no-mixed-refs
                                    --partitions none --rc-lookahead 0 --ref 1
                                    --scenecut 0 --subme 0 --trellis 0
                                    --no-weightb --weightp 0
                                  - superfast:
                                    --no-mbtree --me dia --no-mixed-refs
                                    --partitions i8x8,i4x4 --rc-lookahead 0
                                    --ref 1 --subme 1 --trellis 0 --weightp 1
                                  - veryfast:
                                    --no-mixed-refs --rc-lookahead 10
                                    --ref 1 --subme 2 --trellis 0 --weightp 1
                                  - faster:
                                    --no-mixed-refs --rc-lookahead 20
                                    --ref 2 --subme 4 --weightp 1
                                  - fast:
                                    --rc-lookahead 30 --ref 2 --subme 6
                                    --weightp 1
                                  - medium:
                                    Default settings apply.
                                  - slow:
                                    --direct auto --rc-lookahead 50 --ref 5
                                    --subme 8 --trellis 2
                                  - slower:
                                    --b-adapt 2 --direct auto --me umh
                                    --partitions all --rc-lookahead 60
                                    --ref 8 --subme 9 --trellis 2
                                  - veryslow:
                                    --b-adapt 2 --bframes 8 --direct auto
                                    --me umh --merange 24 --partitions all
                                    --ref 16 --subme 10 --trellis 2
                                    --rc-lookahead 60
                                  - placebo:
                                    --bframes 16 --b-adapt 2 --direct auto
                                    --slow-firstpass --no-fast-pskip
                                    --me tesa --merange 24 --partitions all
                                    --rc-lookahead 60 --ref 16 --subme 11
                                    --trellis 2
Since x264 allows overwriting settings, you could (only, when using 1pass encoding) add for example add ' --ref 5' as a 'Command line->Addition' to make sure x264 uses your setting. Note that, as soon as you do, you are on your own, Hybrid will not take these settings into account during any restriction or calculation setting.

About "not bd complaint": if you set "x264->Restriction Settings->Hardware" to 'Blu-ray/AVCHD' Hybrid only allows 'Blu-ray/AVCHD' values.

Cu Selur
(08.03.2024, 17:01)Sel Wrote: Since x264 allows overwriting settings, you could (only, when using 1pass encoding)  add for example add ' --ref 5' as a 'Command line->Addition' to make sure x264 uses your setting. Note that, as soon as you do, you are on your own, Hybrid will not take these settings into account during any restriction or calculation setting.

i know i can make use of a command line to override x264 settings, but rather don't for one of the reasons you pointed out among others..

(08.03.2024, 17:01)Selur Wrote: About "not bd complaint": if you set "x264->Restriction Settings->Hardware" to 'Blu-ray/AVCHD' Hybrid only allows 'Blu-ray/AVCHD' values.
Cu Selur

Yep ,thought of that too already.  Only problem whit that is that iam very restricted in my posibilities using crop/resize functions (locked out (greyed out).. remember ?)
But at any rate, aslong iam setting the right AVC bd level wich is 4.1 usually .. iam good, just want the reference count as high as possible for optimal quality ..

Ta Ta
Td
Yes, due to Blu-ray requires only allows a few resolutions, frame rate, frame count combination and only these can be configured in Hybrid.
Yes, I know you do stuff that you can't explain and others can not reproduce them.
Seeing all your struggle, I can only suggest to not use Hybrid, but other tools.
MeGui, StaxRip, RipBot, VidCoder,... might be better suited for you.

Cu Selur
(08.03.2024, 17:31)Selur Wrote: Yes, due to Blu-ray requires only allows a few resolutions, frame rate, frame count combination and only these can be configured in Hybrid.
Yes, I know you do stuff that you can't explain and others can not reproduce them.

Regarding dizz ↑, yes i do and yes i can..  

For instance, and diz → may confuse you.  But when hw restriction is used, hybrid automatically will use an target resolution of 1920 = V x 1024 = X  , wouldn't you say.. since 1080p = 1920 x 1080 ... is it not !  

I know , it's ONLY the output resolution that counts you might think.  But iam not so sure of that.

How's that for an explanation  Dodgy ?
If iam still taking gibberish, next time i'll wave my magic wand instead * POof * here's the rabbit/duck (°^ °) ..

Ta TA
"target resolution of 1920 = V x 1024 " in this case Hybrid would automatically enable Letterbox and set it to 1920x1080.
(08.03.2024, 17:55)Selur Wrote: "target resolution of 1920 = V x 1024 " in this case Hybrid would automatically enable Letterbox and set it to 1920x1080.

NOPE.. here comes the magic wand .. * Poof * → Hybrid DID NOT DO SUCH A THING  Big Grin

& *(° ^°) dissapears back into the shadows* Poof..  Dodgy

tata
Only for you,.. Big Grin and no way to reproduce it, so nothing I can do about it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cu Selur
(08.03.2024, 18:01)Selur Wrote: Only for you,.. Big Grin and no way to reproduce it, so nothing I can do about it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cu Selur

HOld on, do you actually mean the hard-to-see locked grey vallue's actually are applied ?  
In that instance * poof * hybrid does infact apply letterbox 1080p.. Big Grin

But then again, wouldn't the lower internal resolution (set auto) not decrement the video quality in the end (sharpnes, details / bits /per pixel ) , how lil that may be ?

ta ta.. poof 
td
Quote:But then again, wouldn't the lower internal resolution (set auto) not decrement the video quality in the end (sharpnes, details / bits /per pixel ) , how lil that may be ?
No, if you would stretch your video you mess up the actual PAR and are not Blu-Ray compliant. (+ distord the image)
As a side note: Hybrid does show the 'Output resolution' ....

Cu Selur