This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Filter order. is there a rule of thumb?
I'm starting to get a reasonable feel for using the GUI Selur, it is starting to make sense to me now.
Searching for information on the various models on Github, etc is also helping me get a better handle on video upscaling as well.

I've got a project underway, upscaling a 720i DVD to 2880. I've deinterlaced the file, and are now playing with different filters. I'm running each one individually, rather than as just one big processing job.
I'm intending to adjust the colour, sharpen using CAS, upscale using Real-ESRGAN and interpolate from 30 to 60 fps using RIFE.
With the first go with the project, I adjusted the colour and sharpened before I upscaled and interpolated. I ended up with a nasty flicker towards the end of the file, that got worse as the video continued. I'm assuming I'd introduced a low level artifact that the upscaling or interpolation picked up on and reinforced/ magnified as the processing went on.

I'm having another crack at it, this time leaving the colour and sharpening work until after I've upscaled and interpolated.

Is there any rule of thumb for the sequence of using colour, sharpening, upscaling and interpolation filters, or is it really a case-by -case basis, depending on the file you are working with?

Also, I knoe Real-ESRGAN is slow to process. I'm using the ESRGAN x4 model, processing on a GTX1660 GPU. Currently processing at 0.05 fps Smile. Are there any tips for getting the processing speed up? Beautiful results, but a long time to get them.

Regards
Mike Mc.

Please, read the 'Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..'-sticky before you post about a problem.
(03.09.2024, 03:01)MikeMcI Wrote: 1. or is it really a case-by -case basis, depending on the file you are working with?

2. Also, I knoe Real-ESRGAN is slow to process. I'm using the ESRGAN x4 model, processing on a GTX1660 GPU. Currently processing at 0.05 fps Smile. Are there any tips for getting the processing speed up? Beautiful results, but a long time to get them.

1. Big Grin yes
2. Shy try this - TVAI v.4.2.2 = Proteus or IRIS
Quote: Is there any rule of thumb for the sequence of using colour, sharpening, upscaling and interpolation filters, or is it really a case-by -case basis, depending on the file you are working with?
The default filter order is usually a good start, but depending on the source and filtering adjusting the filter order can make sense.

Quote:Also, I knoe Real-ESRGAN is slow to process. I'm using the ESRGAN x4 model, processing on a GTX1660 GPU. Currently processing at 0.05 fps Smile. Are there any tips for getting the processing speed up? Beautiful results, but a long time to get them.
Better hardware which is faster and supports Tensor RT. (this way an engine file will be created which takes time, but the general processing will be faster)

Cu Selur
Thank you for that.

Regards
Mike Mc.

Thanks for that Selur.
Time to invest in a RTX GPU me thinks.

Regards
Mike Mc.