This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Crop/Resize
I'm trying to use "Hybrid" for pre-process video before up-conversion in "Topaz Enhance AI".
The procedures as follow:
- Deinterlace
- Rezise (i.e for 4x3 NTSC to 720x540 or to 960x720 or for 16x9 NTSC to 960x540)
- Filtering ...

Everything works fine.

However in many cases I need to remove borders (i.e 6px from the right) and resize cropped video back to 720x540/960x540,
preserving aspect ratio (in order to do this I need to crop top/bottom as well).
What the proper procedure and settings to do that using Hybrid's "Crop/resize"?
What you should do is:
  • Understand the differences of PAR (=pixel aspect ratio) and DAR (=display aspect ratio)
  • Crop your source
  • adjust the output PAR to your needs
  • adjust the resizing to matches your needs (do not disable the automatic adjustment unless you really know what you are doing)
  • use letterbox to hit a specific resolution if need be

Cu Selur
Trying to follow your suggestions:
1. Even without cropping, adjusting 4x3(10/11) 720x480 NTSC to output square pixel PAR  sometimes gives 736x540
output resolution (instead of 720x540)

[Image: no_crop.jpg]

Sometimes 720x528 (instead of 720x540)

[Image: no_crop1.jpg]

2.Attempt to crop right border with auto adjust (let's say "width") doesn't  resize picture to preserve PAR

[Image: crop.jpg]
Wild guess is that there is some problem with the refreshing when the input par is changed,...
Which is what you did, correct?
-> I'll try to reproduce it.

-> Yes, it's a small bug, which doesn't update the resolution when inputPAR is changed manually.

Will fix and send you a link to a dev version.

Cu Selur
Send you a link to my current dev version which should fix the issue.

Cu Selur
New dev version gives me:

[Image: crop2.jpg]
Can't reproduce that here.
What did you do step by step?
Ha, I know what you did, you entered the 48 manually and Hybrid doesn't do anything for width or height >= 48 since that is the supported minimum resolution in Hybrid.
use higher values than 48 and you should be fine.

Cu Selur
(31.10.2020, 19:53)Selur Wrote: Ha, I know what you did, you entered the 48 manually and Hybrid doesn't do anything for width or height >= 48 since that is the supported minimum resolution in Hybrid.
use higher values than 48 and you should be fine.

Cu Selur

I did not enter 48 manually.

On every new load it behaves unpredictably.

New load gives: 720x528 instead 720x540.

[Image: crop3.jpg]
Why do you think 720x528 is wrong?

To me it seem to be the correct resolution for what you configured.

Input is 720x480 with PAR 10/11 (=MPEG-4 NTSC 4:3), so output resolution with square pixel (1/1) should be 720x 480*11/10 = 720x528.

Ah,... I know why you expected 720x540 since you expected the input PAR to be 8/9 which is "Generic NTSC 4:3", if you want Hybrid to use generic enable 'Force input PAR type' and set it to 'generic', this way Hybrid should change the 10/11 to 8/9.

Further details, by default Hybrid does just take the PAR reported by MediaInfo, enforcing a specific par type Hybrid adjust the par.
See: [INFO] About pixel aspect ratios,..

Cu Selur