This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] 25i to 29.97i with interpolation
I understand Selur is interested in solving a technical puzzle.

But Miranda appearance of your video will not change altering scan parameters (likely be worse, re-encoding do just that) for native look, play it on the old hardware (read article in the link below what was different in appearance in older technology). All you do is changing technical parameters that are not related to how this will be displayed using modern technology. You can not restore something that does not exist in hardware, only simulate it using special methods.

This article 
from 1995 describes the basics of the television signal and gives some clues on appearance differences.
When I go from 25i to 29.97i (59.94), I'm seeing field blending on around 50% of scene changes. Is there any way to prevent field blending on scene changes? Thanks Smile
1. Does the source already have these blends?
Look at it after bobbing with QTGMC.
If it already got blends, it probably wasn't PAL in the beginning, but what you got is an NTSC->PAL conversion. (or something totally different)

2. Is the goal still to use frame interpolation to get to 59.96 fps and then create interlaced NTSC output?

In case it's a PAL->NTSC conversion that created your source trying to get to a blend free 23.976 and then apply telecine might be an alternative depending on what you want to do with the content.

----

If the blending is caused by the interpolation, adjusting the interpolation settings might help. (you didn't share what settings you are using)

Cu Selur
It was shot on PAL video cameras, it is not an NTSC to PAL conversion.

I am trying another setting in Interframe/SVP, which says "No frame blending". I will let you know if it works.
Ah okay, you are using Interframe.
reading https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:SVPflow making sure scene->blending is false might help.

Cu Selur
Can you help me to make sense of the Interframe/SVP settings? I am not seeing tool tips for some of the settings.

I am also unsure of: Overwrite Area / Input Type

I do not see a blend: false, option.
The link I posted contains all the available documentation for the settings.
'blend' is a sub-option of 'scene' which belongs to Smooth, if you want to change lend you must enable Overwrite->Smooth and add the option inside the 'scene'-section.

Cu Selur
Confused, I don't see those options?

[Image: Screenshot-2022-11-19-at-17-42-40.png]

You mean this?

{rate:{num:2,den:1,abs:false},algo:2,mask:{area:100},scene:{mode:0}}

What should I set "scene" to in order to avoid frame blending?
Quote:You mean this?

{rate:{num:2,den:1,abs:false},algo:2,mask:{area:100},scene:{mode:0}}
yes

Quote:What should I set "scene" to in order to avoid frame blending?
No clue, whether it works, but according to the documentation you could stick with these values since the default for 'blend' is false.
But note that the tuning setting has no effect then.
See https://github.com/Selur/VapoursynthScri...ame.py#L82 on how the different settings in the GUI would set the Smooth entry if 'overwrite' isn't used.

Cu Selur
Using the default Interframe/SVP setting with "Smooth" checked:

Quote:{rate:{num:2,den:1,abs:false},algo:2,mask:{area:100},scene:{mode:0}}

From 25i input, this is outputting a video at 100 fps (interlaced), even though the Interframe/SVP rate is set to 59.94 fps. (which should output 29.97i)

I have no idea what setting is causing this, can anyone help?