This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

InterFrame/SVP - video interpolation & GPU
HeLLo,

In a nutshell, iam trying to convert DVD Pal to 1080p FHD (resolution) content using frame interpolation to smoothen the choppy video playback from the source.

The settings are:

Source:  PAL / AR 4:3 / 25Fps / Interlaced - Top Field first
Target: Film 24Fps / AR 16:9

Hybrid Output PAR → 1:1 = 16:9 → 1080p are results for filled wide screen / i desire NO up & side black borders. 
Setting Output PAR in Hybrid to 16:9 results in black borders!!

So setting the output par to 1:1 and adjust resize to 1920x1080 give me the results i wanted, but Hybrid once AGAIN tends to Forget the setting at loading every new media file i wish to apply these settings to !!
With some succes, i managed to smoothen the edges somewhat using Interframe/svp filter.  

Interframe/SVP settings from left to right:

fps 120, medium, 21, 0
GPU, Film, 2D
Overwrite Super:{scale:{up:0},gpu:1,rc:true}, Vectors: {main:{search:{coarse:{distance:-8},type:2}},refine:[{thsad:250}]}, Smooth = disable/not checked (enabled = A/V sync prob!)

But:

A, A/V output is out of sync (playing with settings atm)
&
B, is there an setting to encrease and use more gpu threads for that filter specific ?  As the filter utilize only between 6 - 10% of my gpu (RX6600XT) !!

thanks in advance,

cheerioh
T.D

Update 1:  In the meanwhile i have found the settings in misc tab to fix the Output Par + Resolution automatically for each new imported clip to my desire Smile
Now, if only i could find a way to use and apply 120Fps interpolation to the project with nice & in sync results Sad
Also, i don't think the filter make use of my primary GPU at AlL !!

Update 2:  CRASH "too small! (byteSize: 0byte)" !! Using certain Preset settings (→120Fps←!) Avisynth→filter→Interframe instead of vapoursynth  Sad  ..

Avisynth 2.6.0.6 is installed on my system... Also, preview in hybrid using avisynth works..

When set to 60Fps it works/encode, but i noticed Filesize set in x264 is ignored and is encreased x2, X4 depending which fps i choose Huh 

About the filesize !!  I noticed that when chaning settings to filters etc... does alter the settings in x264 automatically !!!  HolY COW , that's why i get different results all the time !! 
One setting changed by my own hand, changes other settings automatically instantly Angry  !!  No wonder , i have to update , updateS from my posts constantly ! !!

I GUESS, and i HOPE NOT.. Using interpolation / adding frames CAUSES → File size Encrease Cry .. right ?
However, when using ChangeSpeed tab→scale output framerate to 24fps , the filesize doesn't encrease !?! Same smooth (to some degree) output results BUT out of SYNC !?!

Only using certain filter settings in combination with the option "scale output framerate" CAUSES → too small! (byteSize: 0byte) CRASH !
Quote:Setting Output PAR in Hybrid to 16:9 results in black borders!!
4:3 and 16:9 are display aspect ratios, Hybrid uses pixel aspect ratios.

Quote:Source: PAL / AR 4:3 / 25Fps / Interlaced - Top Field first
Target: Film 24Fps / AR 16:9
Regarding resize you should then:
a. have an input pixel aspect ratio that is not 1:1
b. crop all the black bars
c. tell Hybrid that it should convert to a 1:1 (square pixel) aspect ratio.
d. tell Hybrid to resize the with to 1920
e. crop more till the output has a DAR or 16:9

Hybrid will not do that automatically for you, since over-cropping is something only a user can properly decide.

Quote:So setting the output par to 1:1 and adjust resize to 1920x1080 give me the results i wanted, but Hybrid once AGAIN tends to Forget the setting at loading every new media file i wish to apply these settings to !!
By default Hybrid will calculate the resize for each source. Crop/Resize->Misc->Resizing needs to be adjusted for what

Quote:With some succes, i managed to smoothen the edges somewhat using Interframe/svp filter.
Inteframe/SVP is for frame interpolation, no clue why that would smooth edges.

Quote:fps 120, medium, 21, 0
GPU, Film, 2D
Overwrite Super:{scale:{up:0},gpu:1,rc:true}, Vectors: {main:{search:{coarse:{distance:-8},type:2}},refine:[{thsad:250}]}, Smooth = disable/not checked (enabled = A/V sync prob!)
a. If you use the overwrite settings you should know what you are doing. Hybrid does not check these values.
b. not knowing what you did with the audio stream I have no clue why audio should be async.

Quote:But:

A, A/V output is out of sync (playing with settings atm)
&
B, is there an setting to encrease and use more gpu threads for that filter specific ? As the filter utilize only between 6 - 10% of my gpu (RX6600XT) !!
Not as far as I know. See for yourself https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:SVPflow

Quote:Update 1: In the meanwhile i have found the settings in misc tab to fix the Output Par + Resolution automatically for each new imported clip to my desire Smile
Now, if only i could find a way to use and apply 120Fps interpolation to the project with nice & in sync results Sad
Also, i don't think the filter make use of my primary GPU at AlL !!
As far as I know there is no option for this in the svp version that Hybrid uses. (can't use the latest versions of the library, read: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=181379)

Quote:Update 2: CRASH "too small! (byteSize: 0byte)" !! Using certain Preset settings (→120Fps←!) Avisynth→filter→Interframe instead of vapoursynth Sad ..
Avisynths Interframe is !really! picky regarding the driver versions used. Sadly there is nothing I can do about it.

Quote:Avisynth 2.6.0.6 is installed on my system... Also, preview in hybrid using avisynth works..
Installing Avisynth 2.6 isn't used in Hybrid. Avisynth+ is, and Hybrid does come and use a portable version of it.

Quote:When set to 60Fps it works/encode, but i noticed Filesize set in x264 is ignored and is encreased x2, X4 depending which fps i choos
Can't help since you clearly didn't read and follow the sticky that informs users what information is needed for me to help.

Quote:About the filesize !! I noticed that when chaning settings to filters etc... does alter the settings in x264 automatically !!! HolY COW , that's why i get different results all the time !!
Again no details nothing to reproduce -> can't help

Quote:I GUESS, and i HOPE NOT.. Using interpolation / adding frames CAUSES → File size Encrease Cry .. right ?
No clue what you are doing.

Quote:Only using certain filter settings in combination with the option "scale output framerate" CAUSES → too small! (byteSize: 0byte) CRASH !

=> Share proper details if you want/need help.

Cu Selur
(18.10.2022, 17:56)Selur Wrote: Source:  PAL / AR 4:3 / 25Fps / Interlaced - Top Field first
Quote:Target: Film 24Fps / AR 16:9
Regarding resize you should then:
a. have an input pixel aspect ratio that is not 1:1
b. crop all the black bars
c. tell Hybrid that it should convert to a 1:1 (square pixel) aspect ratio.
d. tell Hybrid to resize the with to 1920
e. crop more till the output has a DAR or 16:9

Hybrid will not do that automatically for you, since over-cropping is something only a user can properly decide.

Quote:So setting the output par to 1:1 and adjust resize to 1920x1080 give me the results i wanted, but Hybrid once AGAIN tends to Forget the setting at loading every new media file i wish to apply these settings to !!
By default Hybrid will calculate the resize for each source. Crop/Resize->Misc->Resizing needs to be adjusted for what

You read me wrong, i DON't WANT to CUT anything from the video image at all!! 

And unless iam misstaken, thats EXACTLY what you do when you start to use cropping videos/images !!

The source video has an letterboxed / 4:3 AR by default you see, so my goal wos to strech that image to widescreen , much like zoom to widescreen / 16:9 .

And i found out the only way to force hybrid do that automatically is:

Settings → Cropp & Resize base tab :
(only custom setting mentioned !ONLY!, other settings are kept at default)

Resize = V , Autoadjust = X, Target Resolution = 1920x1080p, 

Settings Cropp & resize → Misc tab:
(only custom setting mentioned !ONLY!, other settings are kept at default)

Source Change:

Overwrite Input Par = 1/1

Only Auto Adjust Resize if...:

Width = 1920
Height = 1080
Set target Width / height to = 1920

So, i thought it would be easier to have hybrid just stretch the image from letterboxed/4:3 DAR to Widescreen output by default whitout using cropping but with respect to the custom output resolution i set !!

And if i dont change the settings i just have mentioned in resize&crop→misc tab to use it by default, hybrid will automatically use the wrong output resolutions i.e: 1920x1440/1536  Huh   without cropping anything !

Ofcourse by cropping / cutting the video image you can adjust the output resolution , but that's not my goal Sick

(18.10.2022, 17:56)Selur Wrote:
Quote:With some succes, i managed to smoothen the edges somewhat using Interframe/svp filter. 
Inteframe/SVP is for frame interpolation, no clue why that would smooth edges.

Figure of speech, what i meant to say is.  The filter smoothens somewhat the most choppy / sloppy panned scenes if you catch my drift ...?

Quote:fps 120, medium, 21, 0
GPU, Film, 2D
a. If you use the overwrite settings you should know what you are doing. Hybrid does not check these values.
b. not knowing what you did with the audio stream I have no clue why audio should be async.

b. isn't that obvious, i wrote that iam converting pal → → 25Fps to FILM 24Fps ←←, thus i have to convert the speed & pitch from the audio to 24fps dont i? 
The issue with the speedChange checkboxi have mentioned in my other thread comes to mind Big Grin ?  

The framerate conversions work with great succes, but as soon i use framerate interpolation the end result is OUT of SYNC !!

So again, what settings are relevant to you that you want me to mentioned ? 
I mean hybrid has an zilion settings, do i have to mentioned emm all even though they arent relevant to what iam trying to achieve here ?!?

Quote:When set to 60Fps it works/encode, but i noticed Filesize set in x264 is ignored and is encreased x2, X4 depending which fps i choos
Can't help since you clearly didn't read and follow the sticky that informs users what information is needed for me to help.

Quote:I GUESS, and i HOPE NOT.. Using interpolation / adding frames CAUSES → File size Encrease Cry .. right ?

I did read / searched / browsed this forum ALLOT to find an answer, before creating this thread, REALY trust me!!

I realy thought you would knew that when changing the Target Framerate (fps) by ANY  filter that will doubles/quadrupples the FPS , automatically alters the output filesize other then what you have set in the x264 settings base tab !! 

Iam talking about the Avg Bitrate you choose in x264 tab, THAT yES that automatically changes depending on the target framerate settings in the frame interpolation filters !?

So my MAIN question is/wos, will frame interpolation encrease filesize ALWAYS when using an higher target Fps for frame interpolation ? 
Or are there exceptions / filters to smoothen / doubles or quadrupples video 'fps playback while retaining the video output file size that is set in x264 by the bitrage i have chosen ??

I don't know whats not clear about my "short" explanation regarind the issue Huh  ??

Quote:Only using certain filter settings in combination with the option "scale output framerate" CAUSES → too small! (byteSize: 0byte) CRASH !

=> Share proper details if you want/need help.

Cu Selur

I thought you did Huh ...
Because.... you wrote ↓

Quote:Update 2:  CRASH "too small! (byteSize: 0byte)" !! Using certain Preset settings (→120Fps←!) Avisynth→filter→Interframe instead of vapoursynth  Sad  ..
Avisynths Interframe is !really! picky regarding the driver versions used. Sadly there is nothing I can do about it.

Huh 

I mean, i have mentioned that the CRASH only occurs, when i use AviSynth→Frame→Interpolation in combination with the setting in the following tab FILTER→SPEEDCHANGE→Scale Ouput FrameRate to XX = V (Enabled) !!!

See  Rolleyes

(18.10.2022, 14:03)ToiletDuck Wrote: Only using certain filter settings in combination with the option "scale output framerate" CAUSES → too small! (byteSize: 0byte) CRASH !
                                                                                              ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

I want to ADD, it CRASHES ONLY the LONELY using the Avisynth interpolation filter . Hybrid doesn't crash using framerate filter using vapoursynth in combination with that speechange→ scale to output fps setting...!!
BUT AGAIN, regardless of the filesize issue, the output file ALWAYS play OUT of SYNC -_- , WHEN & AGAIN using framerate/interpolation FILTERS !!! !!!

I mean, framerate converted video projects (25>24Fps) WITHOUT those motion filters enabled, are a succes like i have mentioned earlier..

I mean how much more clear can i be on that subject ?  Ask me the right FAq, and i will be more than happy to provide Idea 

The Stage is yours again Meastro  Cool

Cheers
TD
Since you ignored me asking for proper details (this includes a separate debug output for each bug), I have to assume the only problem lies with you using Hybrid.

We seem to be clearly talk past each other with regard to the resizing, so I won't comment on that.

Quote:So again, what settings are relevant to you that you want me to mentioned ?
Everything you changed from the default settings, since you clearly don't know what settings does what.

Quote:I did read / searched / browsed this forum ALLOT to find an answer, before creating this thread, REALY trust me!!
That saddens me, since that then must mean you clearly intentionally ignored the '[INFO] Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..' sticky intentionally.

Regarding the Avisynth issue: like I wrote before, it's probably a driver issue. There are a few threads about it.

Sorry, but I go to bed now, and I probably will not try to help here anymore.
Whether you decide to use Hybrid or not is your choice, but don't expect help, at least from me. Maybe one of the other users here can help you how to use Hybrid to archive what you want.

Cu Selur
(18.10.2022, 21:19)Selur Wrote: Since you ignored me asking for proper details (this includes a separate debug output for each bug), I have to assume the only problem lies with you using Hybrid.

We seem to be clearly talk past each other with regard to the resizing, so I won't comment on that.

First of are we talking about an "BUG" or about me not knowing how to use Hybrid !?
Two very separate things, of which in one case you don't need a Debug file !!!

Realy, i remember sending you debug file but still get that no nonsense reply later on "can't help without more details" ?!?  

I try to explain it as detailed as i possible can, and when i forgot to mentioned something doesn't mean i ignore your request!! 

How does that help me, or you ?

Also, are you saying iam wrong about the method you suggested as for the resizing part, and it shouldn't CUT off PiECES from the output video image ? 
Well, in preview mode your method i followed to the teeth seems to cut off pieces from the image Huh  !!

(18.10.2022, 21:19)Selur Wrote:
Quote:So again, what settings are relevant to you that you want me to mentioned ? 
Everything you changed from the default settings, since you clearly don't know what settings does what.

OmG, i thought i DID!?!
I clearly wrote in my last post that i will list solely the settings i/myself have changed, and not the default settings ?

(18.10.2022, 21:19)Selur Wrote:
Quote:I did read / searched / browsed this forum ALLOT to find an answer, before creating this thread, REALY trust me!!
That saddens me, since that then must mean you clearly intentionally ignored the '[INFO] Infos needed to fix&reproduce bugs,..' sticky intentionally.

Regarding the Avisynth issue: like I wrote before, it's probably a driver issue. There are a few threads about it.

Sorry, but I go to bed now, and I probably will not try to help here anymore.
Whether you decide to use Hybrid or not is your choice, but don't expect help, at least from me. Maybe one of the other users here can help you how to use Hybrid to archive what you want.

Cu Selur

Did i struck an nerve or something ?
Chill bruh...

Again, i didn't neglect .. what good would that do? 

ASK ,  and ASK again (in case i forget) and you SHALL RECEIVE Angel  .. Without the ATTITUDE pretty please ...

If you choose not to reply anymore thats up to you, fortunately for my sake iam resourcefull person Shy .

T.d