This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

QSVEncC/NvEnc does not support 'mpeg-4 visual'.
i seem to almost always get an error with hardware encoding + mpeg-4 visual files that they are unsupported

QSVEncC does not support 'mpeg-4 visual'.
Nvenc does not support 'mpeg-4 visual'.

it works in other encoders and it off and on works in hybrid, sometimes (very rarely) it will work and encode just fine but like like 95% of the time it tells me it is not supported.
Last I checked, NVEncC and QSVEncC both did not support MPEG-4 ASP through hardware decoding.

You might be right, it might be supported now. Big Grin
Seem like
They changed:
--avhw                       use libavformat + hw decode for input
from
--avhw                       hw decode for input
(in the help output of NVEncC&Co)
and I didn't notice that. Smile

Documentation over at https://github.com/rigaya/NVEnc/blob/mas....md#--avhw still lists only
MPEG1, MPEG2, H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, VP9, AV1, VC-1 as compatible to '--avhw'

=> Will do some testing and report back.

Cu Selur
thank you, i appreciate it, i was wondering if i had a setting wrong or a codec wasn't loading or something haha   Tongue
F:\Hybrid\64bit>NVEncC --avhw  --avi -i "G:\TestClips&Co\files\test.avi" --fps 25.000 --codec av1 --sar 1:1 --lookahead 32 --output-depth 10 --vbr 0 --vbr-quality 23.00 --aq --aq-strength 5 --aq-temporal --gop-len 0 --ref 6 --multiref-l0 3 --multiref-l1 3 --bframes 3 --bref-mode auto --no-b-adapt --mv-precision Q-pel --preset quality --colorrange limited --colormatrix bt470bg --vpp-resize algo=auto --output-res 640x352 --vpp-gauss disabled --vpp-nlmeans sigma=0.005,h=0.05,patch=5,search=11,fp16=blockdiff --cuda-schedule sync --output "J:\tmp\test_new_1_2024-07-31@15_28_38_2110_01.av1"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J:\tmp\test_new_1_2024-07-31@15_28_38_2110_01.av1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
avi: failed to decode avi file.
failed to initialize file reader(s).
Failed to open input file.
Fails here.

Okay, when I remove the "--avi", it works. Big Grin

From the looks of it, hardware decoding of MPEG-4 ASP and other formats not mentioned in my previous post, still do not work, but NVEncC&Co switches to software decoding (then loads the raw data to the gpu) and allows using the hardware filtering options. Smile

=> I created a new dev for testing where I disabled those job checks (and only add '--avi' when '--avhw' isn't used).
Uploaded it to the experimental-folder in my GoogeDrive.
Let me know whether that works for your files.

Cu Selur
it works now, thank you Big Grin

it does crash though if i use hardware encoding only but as long as that is not selected and i use the filtering tab it works fine even with hardware decoding selected and judging by the task manager it appears to actually be using hardware decoding in QSVEnC (mainly focusing on that currently due to AV1 support, AV1 seems to produce higher quality and less blocking/artifacting on any settings)
Unless hardware encoding only is enabled, it should never have crashed,...
(since then the hardware decoder wasn't used)

Okay, just checked with QSVEncC there, the restriction still seems to apply.
=> I'll add the check back in for QSVEnc.

Cu Selur

Ps.: I can use both QSVEnc and NVEnc for av-1 encoding.
yes it only crashes when hardware only is enabled otherwise it is all good and works fine, its working great on this end as long as hardware only is disabled

currently i only have a Tesla P4 + Intel Arc A310 in my server so my NvEnc max is hevc but the Arc card supports AV1

i have also been looking into trying to use CUDA VMAF + AB-AV1 with QSVEnC, i have used it for nvenc and svt-av1 as well as qsv 264-265 just to test, it would probably make a good auto-encoder addition to hybrid if there are no licensing issues, AB-AV1 takes the input file and just finds the right settings to use based on suggested minimum VMAF score of the result, i can't really seem to find any GUI's that support such an option currently
Sorry, I'm not planning any auto encoding magic to Hybrid which does a few tests to hit a specific VMAF, PNSR, SSIM,... - score.
(+ I don't really like VMAF, since last I checked it was luma only and thus totally ignores color issues. Wink)

Cu Selur

Ps.: got a Geforce RTX 4080 and Intel Arc A380 here, bought the A380 back when I build my pc especially for the AV-1 encoding. Smile