This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] x265 thumbnail problem
(30.05.2020, 14:02)Selur Wrote: This is not an issue of Hybrid.
This is an issue of your system having problems handling the files. The files are fine.

I'm using Windows 10, version 1909, build: 18363.836.
Here only mkv files do not show thumbnails and the only thing I did was installĀ  'HEVC Video Extension from Device Manufacturer' like mentioned in the link I posted.
For mkv files to work Windows needs a special splitter.
Since I do not plan to install anything to support thumbnails in mkv on my system I can not really help you with that.
I thought the Icaros Shell Extensions would help with mkv files, if it doesn't I have no clue.

Cu Selur

yeah, i've always using Icaros, and don't know why only x265 encode by hybrid has this problem, you say it was the win10 issue, so if i install 'HEVC Video Extension from Device Manufacturer' , that will resolve?
Quote:so if i install 'HEVC Video Extension from Device Manufacturer' , that will resolve?
That fixed mp4(H.265) thumbnail creation on my Windows 10 64bit system (no Icaros).
(30.05.2020, 18:40)Selur Wrote:
Quote:so if i install 'HEVC Video Extension from Device Manufacturer' , that will resolve?
That fixed mp4(H.265) thumbnail creation on my Windows 10 64bit system (no Icaros).

yeah. i know it. however the two problem i met that i can't fix, how to fix

and have you try to encode any video files with Hybrid Default x265 settings and meet the same two problem as me?
Yes, I can reproduce that Windows has problems handling newer x265 encodes when they are inside an mkv container.
But it doesn't really concern me much since I don't use the thumbnail view.
Might be some feature x265 supports but the H.265 decoder in Windows does not support, might be some change in mkvmerge or mkvtoolnix.
I have no clue and I'm probably the wrong person to ask.
You might have better luck asking folks over at videohelp.com or a similar board.

Cu Selur
(30.05.2020, 20:41)Selur Wrote: Yes, I can reproduce that Windows has problems handling newer x265 encodes when they are inside an mkv container.
But it doesn't really concern me much since I don't use the thumbnail view.
Might be some feature x265 supports but the H.265 decoder in Windows does not support, might be some change in mkvmerge or mkvtoolnix.
I have no clue and I'm probably the wrong person to ask.
You might have better luck asking folks over at videohelp.com or a similar board.

Cu Selur

since the newer x265 has problem, can the older x265 can fix? why not to add in Hybrid

1. I don't know for sure that older x265 can fix the issue. Might also be something in mkvtoolnix, or an old mkv splitter. Even if this was caused by a newer x265 version, since x265 normally only fixes bugs and should be H.265 standard conform this should be fixed in the splitter/decoder used. Since the same video stream works fine when wrapped in an mp4/ts/m2ts container, I doubt it's x265s fault. More likely a bug in the splitter or simply an old splitter.
  2. I also will not start adding different versions of tools to Hybrid. Since Hybrid is way too large as it is.

Cu Selur
(31.05.2020, 08:51)Selur Wrote:
  1. I don't know for sure that older x265 can fix the issue. Might also be something in mkvtoolnix, or an old mkv splitter. Even if this was caused by a newer x265 version, since x265 normally only fixes bugs and should be H.265 standard conform this should be fixed in the splitter/decoder used. Since the same video stream works fine when wrapped in an mp4/ts/m2ts container, I doubt it's x265s fault. More likely a bug in the splitter or simply an old splitter.
  2. I also will not start adding different versions of tools to Hybrid. Since Hybrid is way too large as it is.

Cu Selur

not using mkvtoolnix, convert any video files into mp4 with Hybrid x265, will cause the two problems
Quote:not using mkvtoolnix, convert any video files into mp4 with Hybrid x265, will cause the two problems
No it does not.
If you got a decent HEVC Decoder that Windows Explorer uses, like the one from the 'HEVC Video Extension from Device Manufacturer', Windows Explorer ahas no problem to create thumbnails for x265 inside .mp4.
The main point you seem to be missing is that this is not Hybrids or x265s fault, but more like a missing feature in Windows 10.
Microsoft removed the (beta) HEVC decoder which came with Windows 10 in the beginning and converted it into a pay version which it called 'HEVC Video Extensions'. Microsoft removing the decoder 'broke' the creation of H.265 inside a mp4 container that is neither the fault of x265 nor Hybrid.

The only problem I see is that the Windows Explorer can't create thumbnails for H.265 files inside an .mkv container. Which at least here it never could.
From what I know read in example here Icaros should be able to allow the creation of thumbnails for mkv(h.265) files assuming it is configured properly. If that does not work for you you might want to ask the Icaros developers for help over in their forum.

Cu Selur
(31.05.2020, 09:23)Selur Wrote:
Quote:not using mkvtoolnix, convert any video files into mp4 with Hybrid x265, will cause the two problems
No it does not.
If you got a decent HEVC Decoder that Windows Explorer uses, like the one from the 'HEVC Video Extension from Device Manufacturer', Windows Explorer ahas no problem to create thumbnails for x265 inside .mp4.
The main point you seem to be missing is that this is not Hybrids or x265s fault, but more like a missing feature in Windows 10.
Microsoft removed the (beta) HEVC decoder which came with Windows 10 in the beginning and converted it into a pay version which it called 'HEVC Video Extensions'. Microsoft removing the decoder 'broke' the creation of H.265 inside a mp4 container that is neither the fault of x265 nor Hybrid.

The only problem I see is that the Windows Explorer can't create thumbnails for H.265 files inside an .mkv container. Which at least here it never could.
From what I know read in example here Icaros should be able to allow the creation of thumbnails for mkv(h.265) files assuming it is configured properly. If that does not work for you you might want to ask the Icaros developers for help over in their forum.

Cu Selur

but encoded x265 file with Hybrid , can't see thumbnail in Potplayer, no isolate with win10. and other x265 video files are no problem
Quote:but encoded x265 file with Hybrid , can't see thumbnail in Potplayer, no isolate with win10. and other x265 video files are no problem
Works fine with MPC-BE and when I enable the preview for the slider.
I downloaded PotPlayerPortable_1.7.21212 and here the thumbnail preview on the slider works fine with mkv(H.265), for larger files it takes a while for the player to create the thumbnails but after a bit of waiting even with larger files theĀ  thumbnail preview on the slider works fine.
No clue where the problem is on your system.

Cu Selur

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)