This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

[HELP] Telecine Vatiations Problems, Fixes and Questions...
Another type of struggle (already spend 2 days to understand the problem source) - DVD with Variable Frame Rate and build-in Timecode that dictates to video player how to playback each frame in that variable framerate. Cry

MKV remux made with MakeMKV preserve that timecode and opens 24.204 VFR in Hybrid
MKV remux made with Hybrid or DVD opened directly in Hybrid ignores that timecode and opens as 29.970 CFR in Hybrid.
In both cases after transcoding this DVD type motion looks not too smooth and i can notice very tiny micro jumps.

Maybe i miss some Timecode related settings in Hybrid for this type of content?
Quote:DVD with Variable Frame Rate and build-in Timecode
-> there is no dvd with vfr, standard only allows cfr.
MakeMKV just exports vfr.
Hybrid will ignore time codes of files created by MakeMKV.

Cu Selur
Well, seems that DVD use some alien technology Smile

VTS_01_1.VOB VOB opens in Hybrid as 29.97 CFR top field first. In progressive more i see 2 interlaced, 3 progressive frames pattern.

VTS_01_2.VOB VOB opens in Hybrid as 29.97 CFR telecine (soft). In progressive more i see 2 interlaced, 3 progressive frames pattern.

VTS_01_3.VOB VOB opens in Hybrid as 29.97 CFR telecine (soft). In progressive more i see 2 interlaced, 3 progressive frames pattern.

VTS_01_4.VOB VOB opens in Hybrid as 29.97 CFR telecine (soft). In progressive more i see 2 interlaced, 3 progressive frames pattern.

There is also some strange Timecode metadata in VOB files

[Image: i6aeEkN.jpg]

Full DVD opens in Hybrid as 29.97 CFR Progressive

Full DVD remuxed to MKV with Hybrid looks like this:
[Image: CzwHUx7.jpg]

Full DVD remuxed to MKV with MakeMKV or MKVtoolNIX looks like this:
[Image: iWPLFmF.jpg]

Full DVD playbacks in VLC player as progressive content and don't show interlaced artifacts.
This is all very strange...
That's what according to dvd manufacturers is part of the copy protection.
btw. you can get way stranger things when analysing all the playlists and single m2ts files or Blu-rays, but there Hybrid can drop more as nonsensical since the standard is stricter.

Cu Selur
Ok. Seems the solution is to bypass additional MKV remuxing step.

- Open DVD in Hybrid
- Manually change input type to Telecine (soft)
- Use TIVTC
- Transcode directly to x264 or something...

Motion looks smooth now.
This is the same that should normally happen if you feed the mkv from MakeMKV into Hybrid,...
Hybrid should ignore the timecodes and assuming the source is flagged as 3:2 pulldown report it as 'telecine (soft)' and select TIVTC,...

Cu Selur
As i told - something in that muxed MKV don't allow Hybrid to read it correctly.
When i manually set input type to Telecine (soft) for that MKV - in Vapoursynth preview it appears as 19363/1000 = 19.363 fps
Maybe a bug in Hybrid?
No way to reproduce -> no clue
MKV remuxed with MakeMKV. Input set to telecine(soft)
[Image: JHB82I4.jpg]
Direct DVD input. Input set to telecine(soft)
[Image: FSykuYP.jpg]
see last post,...